Fri Feb 12 01:28pm EST
Here are your Puck Headlines: A glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
• Today's Olympic roster freeze kicks in at 3 p.m. EST. Expect some movement ...
• ... like this one: Carolina sent Matt Cullen(notes) to Ottawa in exchange for Alexandre Picard and a second-round pick. So Cullen and Dominic Moore(notes) are worth second rounders you say? [TSN] Also, Darren Dreger reports that no progress has been made on any sort of deal involving Ray Whitney(notes).
• Before they announced the trade, Ottawa gave GM Bryan Murray a one-year contract extension. [Ottawa Citizen]
• Murray was very busy this morning. "Malkin to the Kings" tweets that one-time 56-goal scorer Jonathan Cheechoo(notes) has been placed on waivers and won't travel with the Senators this weekend. [@SunGarrioch]
• Over a half dozen hockey players will be carrying their nation's flag during tonight's Olympic Opening Ceremony. [CTV]
• The owners of the Florida Panthers posted a letter to their fans on the team's website this morning detailing their unhappiness with the current roster and that "significant change is required." [Panthers]
• Wysh breaks down Group B featuring Russia, Latvia, Slovakia, and the Czech Republic. Is this the group of death? [Fourth Place Medal]
• Despite losing the River Rats to Charlotte, the Times Union Center in Albany may find itself with AHL hockey next year. [Times Union] The Portland Pirates are rumored to be the team to relocate to Albany.
• Andreas Lilja(notes) will be activated for the Detroit Red Wings today meaning Brad May(notes) will be placed on waivers. GM Ken Holland is also expected to place a player on long-term injury reserve to free up cap space. [On the Wings]
• How Twitter is bringing fans closer than ever before. [Hockey Independent]
• U.S. women's Olympic hockey team member Angela Ruggiero is all about the social media to help promote women's hockey. [L.A. Times]
• Tonight, Kings defenseman Jack Johnson(notes) will march with the rest of the U.S. Olympic delegation in the Opening Ceremony and then return to Los Angeles for their game tomorrow night against Colorado. [Olympic Hockey Blog]
• Remembering the worst team in NHL history: the 1974-75 Washington Capitals. [NHL Digest]
• It was Nashville Predators Day on Thursday as the team had the day off in New York City and were all over NHL Live and even attended a taping of "The Late Show with David Letterman". [Preds on the Glass]
• Finally, Chicago Now's Sarah Spain (via @chiblackhawks) passes along this video of Patrick Kane(notes) and Kris Versteeg(notes) singing "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy" during Brian Campbell's(notes) charity poker tournament on Wednesday night. At least Patty kept his shirt on for this one.