December 30, 2008
Here are your Morning Puck Headlines: A glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
• The Chicago Blackhawks are getting heaping spoonfuls of love from the media as the Winter Classic nears. Eamonn Brennan collects the clippings, and would like everyone to take a deep breath and think about the fact that they really haven't accomplished much of anything yet. "The Blackhawks have a great short-term opportunity. It's worth getting excited about. But let's not drop all perspective at the first sight of outdoor hockey, hmm? The Hawks have a long climb yet." [Mouthpiece Sports]
• ESPN columnist Gene Wojciechowski says the Chicago Blackhawks going from also-rans in the Western Conference to Winter Classic stars is like "Barack Obama asking Sarah Palin to hold the family Bible for the swearing-in ceremony." And that's how ESPN covers hockey, folks. [ESPN]
• A few weeks back, we mentioned this guy UniWatch discovered who creates DIY replica hockey jerseys. His latest project? Making a Chicago Blackhawks Winter Classic jersey with Jonathan Toews's name on the back. Not too shabby.
• Regarding the Vancouver hysteria over Mats Sundin's arrival: Alanah reports that it's at a Beckham-like level of celebrity fawning. To the point where Canucks.com may live-stream his first skate with the team. [Canucks and Beyond]
• We've been meaning to post this for a while, but please do check out Adam Sherlip's efforts to bring hockey to the children of Kashmir. [Hockey Volunteer]
• Among the sports luminaries on hand for the Winter Classic: Cubs Hall of Famers Fergie Jenkins, Ryne Sandberg and Billy Williams; Bears Hall of Famers Gale Sayers and Dick Butkus; and Ted Lindsay and Bobby Hull, who are reportedly going to take part in the ceremonial faceoff. [NHL]
• Washington Capitals prospect Dmitry Kugryshev has a blog on IceDaily.com, and OFB points out a post in which he actually calls out an HF Boards poster for questioning his size and strength. We eagerly await the day when Dmitry Kugryshev and "BrooklynCapsFan" can put this all behind them. [On Frozen Blog]
• From Puck Daddy reader Alex comes the image below from the Dallas Stars Web site: "Thornton vs. Grossman. Doesn't exactly make me want to reach for my wallet and buy tickets. If that is the matchup, then Stars are in worst shape than I thought. That is like pocket Kings against pocket 3s."
• Former Idaho Steelhead hockey player Mike Hanson will appear on Friday night's edition of "Wheel of Fortune" as a contestant. If he drops the gloves with Sajak, he deserves a medal. [Statesman]
• Finally: "Miller Donnelly hopes his YouTube video, 'The Magic Hockey Helmet,' exposes what he feels is a major problem in minor league hockey: angry fans yelling at young players." If you haven't seen this, it's all sorts of adorable. "When I go to a friend's backyard rink and I'm only wearing a toque, ad-ults treat me much nicer." [Sudbury Star]