January 12, 2010
Here are your Puck Headlines: A glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
• Welcome to Puck Headlines, a.k.a. KNN (Kovalchuk News Network). Our top story: Dave Pagnotta of The Fourth Period breaks down the state of Ilya Kovalchuk(notes) contract talks and the fact that the Atlanta Thrashers' messy ownership is making matters worse for Don Waddell. [TFP]
• Kovalchuk refuses to discuss his contract talks with the Atlanta Thrashers. Luckily, the rest of his teammates are more than willing to admit they're scared [expletive]-less. [Sportsnet]
• Meanwhile, the Los Angeles Kings' cap space and war chest of talent have once again made them a logical (i.e. media-speculated) destination should Kovy be traded. Helene Elliott writes that the Kings would only want Kovalchuk as a long-term prospect and not a rent-a-star. Rudy Kelly is trying to figure out what a trade for the Russian star would cost, and believes a good starting point is Jack Johnson(notes). [Battle of California]
• Damien Cox brings Brian Burke and the Leafs into the conversation: "Maybe he can sign Kovalchuk and claim he's the team's new enforcer." [Toronto Star]
• Comparing the Canadian and U.S. Olympic teams based on their salary cap hits. Or in automotive terms, a Mercedes SUV with a Chevy Cavalier. [Jim Jatho]
• Sage advice from Ray Ferraro on the Burrows/Auger mess: "If someone continually tells them that they suck, they won't forget. I learned late in my career to keep my mouth zipped. And though I wasn't perfect at it, I was certainly better." [TSN]
• The notion that the Montreal Canadiens are going to face a cap crunch next summer isn't outlandish. But what about the notion that Carey Price(notes) is a prime target for an RFA offer sheet instead of Jaroslav Halak(notes)? [Globe & Mail]
• From Puck Buddy Jason G. comes this overhead view of the Flyers/Pittsburgh Penguins/Fox Sports replay controversy.
• You know how sometimes you see a player's name and you genuinely feel as though you had no idea this person was a professional hockey player? In other news, Blair Jones(notes) has cleared waivers for the Tampa Bay Lightning. (Luckily, Hockey or Die has decided to tell the world about the many virtues of Blair Jones.) [Lightning Strikes]
• Speaking of the Lightning: Their fresh ice wasn't ripe enough yet for the Washington Capitals this morning. [Capitals Insider]
• Is a newly born "Trade Tomas Kaberle(notes)" article an indication that spring or the bottom of the Eastern Conference is near for the Toronto Maple Leafs? (To be fair, Proteau called for a Kaberle trade two months ago, too.) [THN]
• A timeline of Washington Capitals goalie masks and the chance for fans to vote on their favorites. If Leonhardt doesn't win this one ... [Rock The Red]
• More stat-geek fun from Behind The Net. [BTN]
• The tireless Paul Kukla writes about his daily hockey consumption. [NHL.com]
• Finally, the video quality isn't all that outstanding, but we're sure you can overlook that fact thanks to these two words: Mascot Dodgeball. Hey, if you can dodge a plush wrench ...