September 14, 2010
During the season, these will be your Puck Previews: Spotlighting the key games in NHL action, news and views as well as general frivolity. For now, enjoy the Evening Puck Headlines.
• It's official: When two teams are tied in points and wins in the standings, shootout victories will be subtracted from those win totals for the purposes of breaking the tie. Yippee! [ESPN]
• SB Nation releases its preseason power rankings for the NHL, with the Washington Capitals and (inexplicably, given their offseason) the Chicago Blackhawks on top of their respective conferences. [SB Nation]
• Bobby Ryan's(notes) conference call with the media after his new 5-year deal. On Ryan Getzlaf(notes): "Guys are always hesitant to give an answer that is three years down the road. I think Getzy is pretty comfortable with the Ducks organization and he loves it here in Southern California." [Ducks]
• Hockey Spy has forward Sean Couturier of Drummondville as the top-rated rookie in all the lands. [Hockey Spy]
• Bob McKenzie has Couturier and Swedish defenseman Adam Larsson tied at the top. Both of them were both after the "Wayne's World" movie was released. Yes, you're that old. [TSN]
• There aren't many who could make news by announcing a farewell tour with a retired NHL alumni hockey team. But then again, there's only one Guy Lafleur. [QMI]
Puck Buddy Comment of the Day: From the Ovechkin/McNabb Capital One commercial, it's ‘theone643':
"I like how McNabb is just sitting in his polo shirt while Ovechkin is wearing his jersey so we know who he is instead of a weird looking guy who can't speak English."
You're right: Now we know he's a weird-looking guy named Ovechkin.