Bush agrees to deal with Saints

Bush agrees to deal with Saints
By Jason Cole, Yahoo Sports
July 29, 2006

Jason Cole
Yahoo Sports
Video Reggie Bush highlight reel

Running back Reggie Bush, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2006 draft by the New Orleans Saints, agreed to a six-year deal with the Saints on Saturday after two days of furious negotiations between agent Joel Segal and New Orleans general manager Mickey Loomis, a league source said.

Figures for the deal weren't available, but a source said Friday that the maximum amount of guaranteed money Bush could receive was $26.3 million. The deal is also expected to be worth a maximum value of $55 to $60 million.

The deal is expected to be signed and announced Sunday. The deal ends a two-day holdout after what had been otherwise stagnant and unproductive negotiations prior to the past two days.

Part of the key is that the Saints significantly improved their offer in terms of both guaranteed money and total value of the contract after the Tennessee Titans signed quarterback Vince Young, the No. 3 overall pick, to a six-year contract worth a maximum of $54 million.

The $26.3 million would be slightly less than the $26.5 million in guarantees that defensive end Mario Williams received from the Houston Texans as the No. 1 pick and slightly more than the $25.74 million that Young received from the Titans.

Jason Cole is a national NFL writer for Yahoo! Sports. Follow him on Twitter. Send Jason a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

Updated on Saturday, Jul 29, 2006 10:49 pm, EDT

Email to a Friend | View Popular