Today the New York Jets cut former UB Punter Jake Schum.
Jets Release Seven Players
Furney and Schum both signed at the end of their tryouts at the full-squad minicamp June 19.
Schum was the power punter who averaged 38.5 yards per punt in 2010, including 13 fair catches and 13 inside the 20. Schum started out a little rough around the edges after transferring from DIII Buff State but by the time his first season was over he had settled nicely into the role of primary punter.
In 2011 Schum upped his average punt to 39 yards, which given UB's kick coverage at the time was pretty impressive. Schum has a monster leg and can put impressive time and distance on a punt if given the space to do it.
Schum spent parts of the last year-plus with both Tampa Bay and Cleveland.This preseason his six punts this preseason grossed 40.0 yards and netted 37.7.
More from sbnation.com:
- The Essential Bull Run Glossary Ed. 1, Vol 3
- MAC ESPN Press Conference Live Thread
- Golden State Warriors invite Mitchell Watt to their preseason camp
- The Essential UB Bull Run Glossary: Ed. 1 Vol. 1
- Branden Oliver Shines against Dallas
- 2014 UB Men's Soccer Season Preview
- Sports & Recreation
- American Football
- Jake Schum