WATCH:

Xavier's Wells won't be charged by grand jury

The SportsXchange

Xavier forward Dezmine Wells had criminal charges against him rejected by a grand jury on Tuesday, but the sophomore remains expelled from the university.

According to an EPSN report, prosecutor Joseph Deters announced that a Hamilton County grand jury wouldn't indict Wells on sexual assault charges. Hours later, Xavier said it was standing by the University Conduct Board's decision to expel the sophomore due to a "a serious violation of the student code."

"The process used by the Xavier University Conduct Board is the standard used in American universities. The XU Conduct Board heard evidence that may or may not have been heard by the Grand Jury. After the Conduct Board reached its decision, the matter was considered and upheld by an appeal board of members of the student body, faculty and staff and is final."

Deters hoped the school wouldn't come to that conclusion.

"I would sincerely hope the institution would revisit this situation," Deters said in a statement.

Wells' lawyer, Merlyn Shiverdecker was angry.

"That is self-serving gobbledygook," Shiverdecker told ESPN.com, regarding Xavier's statement. "I think they were committed to the process and not the fairness of the outcome. Dez Wells got thrown under a bus because of their commitment to the process."

Wells is now likely headed to another school, and Shiverdecker said interest in Wells had already been expressed. Due to NCAA rules, he would have to sit out a year if he enrolls at another Division I school.
View Comments (0)