Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images
They all lost their next games, and went 0-1-5 in tournament games overall after playing in Manaus.
All four teams have since been eliminated from the World Cup.
The sample size is small, but it makes sense that the Amazon would take its toll. Before the World Cup draw in December, USMNT coach Jurgen Klinsmann said he'd be fine with any outcome as long as he didn't have to go to Manaus.
The conditions are exhausting, especially with only a few days of recovery between games. The travel is a factor as well, with teams losing training days because they have to fly thousands of miles to the jungle.
The U.S. will have to overcome all of that to advance.
More From Business Insider
- Mexico Scores 2 Goals In 3 Minutes, Coach Goes Absolutely Bonkers
- CHART: Players From English And German Clubs Are Dominating The World Cup
- Here's What Happens To The US In Every World Cup Scenario
- Jurgen Klinsmann Had The Perfect Response When Asked About Colluding With Germany In Final Group Stage Match
- Croatia Is Talking A Ton Of Trash About Mexico Before Their World Cup Game
- Consumer Discretionary
- Sports & Recreation