The Labor Day weekend is coming up and all kinds of sports are available with motorsports having one of their bigger weeks of the year. The NHRA's U.S. Nationals at Indy is this weekend as well as a big night race at Atlanta for NASCAR and if you like Formula One, the F1 cars are back in action after several weeks off with the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa. Plus the college football season starts as well.
And then there's a grand prix race on the Eastern seaboard of the U.S. with IndyCar's Baltimore Grand Prix. Last year's inaugural street race was a success and although there was a time when this year's event teetered on whether it would happen or not, the race will be run and a bigger event is hoped for. Will Power won last year's race, but who seems the most likely to win in 2012? Here are the five favorites.
5. Simon Pagenaud - He's had an exemplary year considering it's his first full season in IndyCar. He doesn't have a win this season but does have three podiums including Long Beach, Belle Isle and Mid-Ohio, which are all street or road courses.
4. Ryan Hunter-Reay - This series championship is still within reach at 36 markers back, but Hunter-Reay needs to win races. He won the street race at Toronto in early July so it's possible.
3. Helio Castroneves - A penalty at Sonoma almost ended Castroneves' chances at winning the title but he's in the same situation Hunter-Reay - Helio needs to win races. He won at St. Petersburg and Edmonton, which are both street courses so he can do it.
2. Scott Dixon - His poor finish in the middle of the pack at Sonoma has almost doomed Dixon's shot at the title. Dixon is more than capable of winning at Baltimore since he won at Belle Isle and Mid-Ohio earlier this year - those were street and road courses.
1. Will Power - He won the race last year from the pole (source - Baltimore Sun) and is the dominant driver in the series when it comes to street courses. Power will be the favorite and I believe with a win, he will win the championship.
Watch for last week's winner Ryan Briscoe (see related articles). He looked good at Sonoma and started third last year at Baltimore. By the way, Will Power won the 2012 Mario Andretti Road Trophy for best driver on street and road courses (source - Sports Illustrated).
The Grand Prix of Baltimore will be Sunday at 2:30 PM Eastern Time and broadcast live on NBC Sports. The final race on the schedule will be on Saturday evening on September 15th at Fontana, California.
Sources - IndyCar, Racing Reference
Daryle has been involved in motorsports most of his life and has three decades of experience inside racemarketing, plus for several years has blogged about every type of racing.
- Motor Racing
- Sports & Recreation
- Helio Castroneves
- Baltimore Grand Prix