The NASCAR Nationwide series heads into Talladega, Alabama, and Talladega Superspeedway, the biggest oval in stock racing at 2.66 miles. Many of the Sprint Cup regulars will be in the Aaron's 312 Nationwide race set for Saturday May 5th, but the Nationwide regulars should have something to say before it's over.
So who are the favorites? Here are the top six to watch for.
6. Ricky Stenhouse Jr. - There aren't any finishes by Stenhouse to point to which says he'll be a favorite except for the fact that he's established himself as a favorite every time he's on the track, no matter where it is. Stenhouse qualified third two years ago so expect him to be near the front.
5. Brad Keselowski - Three Top 10s in a row and a win the race before last says Brad K should be a favorite.
4. Elliott Sadler - He had the pole last year at this race and finished fifth. That and the fact he's the points leader right now means he should be near or at the front all day.
3. Dale Earnhardt Jr. - He's won here in the past and has a knack for the big tracks. Except for mechanical issues, Junior has never finished lower than eighth which means he should be one of the favorites.
2. Kyle Busch - His Nationwide team has struggled … until they won last week with his brother Kurt at the wheel (source - Sports Illustrated). Kyle won this race last season so he should be at the front again this year.
1. Kevin Harvick - Harvick had the pole the year before last and had three straight top sixes until an engine expired last season. I have a hunch he'll be at the front when the checkers fly on Saturday.
Trying to find a darkhorse was tough but how about Kurt Busch who will be driving for his Cup owner James Finch in this one. I've a great longshot - Danica Patrick. She has a good car at the fast tracks and she likes the big speed.
Source - NASCAR, Racing Reference
Daryle has been involved in motorsports most of his life and has three decades of experience inside racemarketing, plus for several years has blogged about every type of racing.