Who was Aston Villa's Man of the Match vs. Newcastle? Vote in our poll!
Last week the results of the poll had three Aston Villa defenders finishing ahead of goalscorer Andi Weimann after the 1-0 win over Stoke City at the Britannia stadium. The backline and team defensive effort were what kept it together last time out.
Charles N'Zogbia was a positive influence at times, but picked up a yellow and was subbed off for new signing Carlos Sánchez. Weimann was rather poor today. Darren Bent was subbed on with 15 minutes to go, replacing Kieran Richardson. Aly Cissokho had another great performance but had to be subbed off after an apparent lower leg injury sustained with just under ten minutes remaining. He was replaced by Nathan Baker.
In goal, keeper Brad Guzan did well on a few occasions, including a save which required some scrambling to make just two minutes from time. Fabian Delph had some good runs forward, and caused Mike Williamson to be sent off in the 90th minute. The game finished goalless however. Ron Vlaar took a knock but was able to carry on, and it was a solid performance from the Villa captain. Alan Hutton was pretty solid as well, so he is your fourth option.
Why did you vote for who you did? Let us know in the comments!
More from sbnation.com:
- Villa poach summer's most important signing from Arsenal
- Talking Tactics: Aston Villa vs. Newcastle United
- Impressive Arsenal CCO set to face huge new challenge at Villa
- Stoke City vs. Aston Villa: Community player ratings results
- Villa keeper set for more international experience
- Benteke may return in time for October Man City clash