Because he's got a more lucrative opponent in mind.
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey wants revenge for her fallen "Horsewomen," now that undefeated division contender Bethe Correia knocked off Jessamyn Duke and Shayna Baszler, the latter of which occurred at UFC 177 last Saturday night (Aug. 30, 2014) in Sacramento, California.
Not so fast.
While "Pitbull" made it a point to call out the "Rowdy" champion in her post-fight victory speech, UFC President Dana White is trying to capitalize on a big-money fight between Rousey and former Strikeforce featherweight Gina Carano, who is expected to sign with the promotion before year's end.
White elaborates during the UFC 177 media scrum (watch it here):
"As soon as (Correia) started talking, she texted me and said, ‘I want that fight; I want it now. I want it before someone else beats her,’ and I said, ‘Calm down, lady. You’ve got other people to fight. We’ll figure it out.’ There’s a long list for Rousey waiting right now, so we’ll see what happens. She’s on the list. It’s a short list."
While the promotion also signed former boxing champion Holly Holm (more on that here), "The Preacher's Daughter" will need at least one fight inside the Octagon before getting a chance to pull the sword from the stone. As it stands, the next top contender is likely to be the winner of Cat Zingano vs. Amanda Nunes, who collide next month at UFC 178.
But that all depends on Carano, so Correia should expect another fight in the interim.
Any opponents come to mind?
More from sbnation.com:
- Live UFC 177 results
- UFC 177: 'Disappointed' Renan Barao first comments on weight-cutting disaster, vows to 'rip TJ Dillashaw's head off' for criticism
- Knockout! Watch TJ Dillashaw vs Joe Soto full fight video highlights from UFC 177
- Bellator MMA trolls UFC on Twitter, airs video of Joe Soto getting KTFO by Joe Warren
- UFC 177 results: TJ Dillashaw knocks out Joe Soto in round five, retains bantamweight title
- Dana White: I released Stephan Bonnar so he could beat the s--t out of Tito Ortiz in Bellator