“The UFC has announced that the UFC 176 Pay-Per-View event scheduled for August 2 will be postponed. The featherweight championship fight scheduled to headline the event at STAPLES Center in Los Angeles was dropped from the card last week when champion Jose Aldo sustained an injury making him unable to defend his title against No. 1 ranked featherweight Chad Mendes,” read the statement.
During the UFC 175 post-fight press conference on Saturday, UFC president Dana White said Aldo’s injuries would only sideline him for 45 days. The rematch with Mendes will take place at a later date.
“The featherweight championship fight between Aldo and Mendes is expected to take place later this year and all other fights previously slated for UFC 176 are being rescheduled for upcoming cards. The August 30 Pay-Per-View event will remain titled UFC 177: DILLASHAW vs. BARAO II at the Sleep Train Arena in Sacramento,” the organization said in the release.
Ticket refunds will be offered at the original point of purchase.
The only other time the UFC had to cancel an event was in September 2012. UFC 151 was originally scheduled to featured light heavyweight champion Jon Jones defending his title for the fourth time against former two-division Pride champion Dan Henderson. A knee injury forced Henderson out of the fight. Chael Sonnen offered to step in for Henderson, but Jones turned down the bout, and the fight card was scratched.
- Sports & Recreation
- Martial Arts