CHAT TRANSCRIPT: Check out Kendall Rogers' weekly chat transcript
It had been several weeks since UC Irvine was last ranked in the Rivals Top 25.
The wait is over for the Anteaters, though. The 'Eaters won an important midweek game against UCLA last week before taking two of three from UC Santa Barbara over the weekend. As a result, the 'Eaters are back in the rankings at No. 25 this week.
The Anteaters aren't alone. Washington State also joined the latest rankings after putting together a fantastic week that included a win over California and a road series win over Stanford this past weekend.
Though the 'Eaters and Cougars lead the way at the bottom of the top 25, Texas once again comes in at No. 1 after sweeping a twinbill from Louisiana Tech over the weekend. The Longhorns are followed by No. 2 Virginia, No. 3 Arizona State, No. 4 Florida and No. 5 Florida State.
Virginia swept North Carolina over the weekend, Arizona State went 3-1 with two midweek wins over BYU and a 1-1 split with Arizona in the first two games of that series, Florida swept Georgia and Florida State took two of three from N.C. State.
South Carolina climbed from No. 9 to No. 6 after sweeping Arkansas on the road, UCLA moved from No. 10 to No. 7 after sweeping rival USC to extend its Pac-10 winning streak to six games, and Coastal Carolina entered the top 10 after sweeping a solid Liberty club on the road.
Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech, which climbed to Nos. 12 and 13, respectively, were big winners in the rankings, while Arkansas dropped to No. 14 following a poor showing against South Carolina.
Stanford and California were the only teams to drop out of this week's rankings.
Here are the conference breakdowns: SEC (6), ACC (5), Pac-10 (4), Big 12 (2), Big East (2), Big West (2), Big South (1), Mountain West (1), Conference USA (1), West Coast (1).
Records in the rankings do not include ties.
RIVALS.COM BASEBALL TOP 25
1. Texas (43-8) – Last week: 2-0, Previous rank: 1
The Longhorns played just two games last week and it was two wins over WAC representative Louisiana Tech.
2. Virginia (43-9) – Last week: 3-0, Previous rank: 2
The Cavaliers put their clutch style of baseball on display against ACC rival North Carolina over the weekend.
3. Arizona State (42-6) – Last week: 3-1, Previous rank: 3
The Sun Devils swept a pair of midweek games from BYU before splitting the first two games of their series against rival Arizona.
4. Florida (37-12) – Last week: 4-0, Previous rank: 4
The Gators had another fabulous week that included a great midweek win over Florida Atlantic and a weekend series sweep over Georgia.
5. Florida State (39-13) – Last week, 3-1, Previous rank: 5
The Seminoles won a midweek bout against Stetson before taking care of N.C. State at home over the weekend in a hard-fought series.
6. South Carolina (41-11) – Last week: 5-0, Previous rank: 9
The Gamecocks had a fabulous week that included a pair of midweek wins and a road series sweep over a very solid Arkansas club.
7. UCLA (37-11) – Last week: 3-1, Previous rank: 10
The Bruins dropped a midweek affair to UC Irvine but responded over the weekend with a series sweep over USC to make it six straight Pac-10 victories.
8. Coastal Carolina (45-6) – Last week: 4-0, Previous rank: 11
The Chanticleers flexed their muscles last week with a win over Winthrop earlier in the week and a road series sweep over Liberty this past weekend.
9. TCU (40-11) – Last week: 4-1, Previous rank: 7
The Horned Frogs won a nice midweek game over Texas State to start the week but didn't exactly put on an impressive display against Air Force over the weekend.
10. Louisville (42-10) – Last week: 2-2, Previous rank: 8
The Cardinals started the week with a tough loss to Vanderbilt before taking two of three from St. John's over the weekend.
11. Cal State Fullerton (34-14) – Last week: 4-0, Previous rank: 12
The Titans continued their impressive ways last week with a midweek win over Pepperdine and a weekend series sweep over Long Beach State.
12. Virginia Tech (36-16) – Last week: 2-1, Previous rank: 15
The Hokies had another successful weekend that consisted of a home series win over ACC bottom feeder Duke.
13. Georgia Tech (41-10) – Last week: 2-1, Previous rank: 16
The Yellow Jackets recorded a very solid series win over Miami over the weekend. Now they hope to possibly build their resume for a national seed.
14. Arkansas (38-14) – Last week: 1-3, Previous rank: 6
The Hogs took a huge step back from a national seed standpoint over the weekend by failing to win a game against South Carolina.
15. Miami (Fla.) (37-13) – Last week: 1-2, Previous rank: 13
The Hurricanes took a small step back over the weekend with a tough road series loss to Georgia Tech.
16. Mississippi (36-17) – Last week: 2-2, Previous rank: 14
The Rebels lost their second straight SEC series at Alabama over the weekend. Ole Miss may have a tough time hosting a regional with others surging.
17. Oklahoma (37-14) – Last week: 2-1, Previous rank: 17
The Sooners bounced back from a series-opening loss to Memphis to take two of three from the Tigers.
18. Auburn (35-17) – Last week: 2-2, Previous rank: 18
The Tigers dropped a midweek bout to South Alabama to start the week before taking two of three from red-hot Tennessee at home.
19. Connecticut (41-11) – Last week: 4-1, Previous rank: 19
The Huskies took midweek games from Boston College and Manhattan before hitting the road and taking two of three from South Florida.
20. Oregon (34-18) – Last week: 4-0, Previous rank: 20
The Ducks won a midweek affair against San Diego before doing a clean sweep of East Tennessee State over the weekend.
21. Vanderbilt (39-13) – Last week: 4-0, Previous rank: 23
The Commodores defeated Louisville to start the week and continued their winning ways with a road series sweep over Mississippi State.
22. Rice (32-19) – Last week: 2-2, Previous rank: 21
The Owls dropped a midweek bout to Oklahoma State before returning home and taking two of three during a very offensive series against Southern Misssissippi.
23. San Diego (31-17) – Last week: 1-1, Previous rank: 22
The Toreros split a pair of midweek games against Oregon State and Oregon last week. They beat OSU and lost to UO.
24. Washington State (28-18) – Last week: 4-1, Previous rank: NR
The Cougars had a fantastic week that began with a win over California and ended with a solid series win over Stanford.
25. UC Irvine (32-17) – Last week: 3-1, Previous rank: NR
The Anteaters earned a very solid midweek win over UCLA before taking two of three from UC Santa Barbara over the weekend.
No. 24 Stanford, No. 25 California