Serena Williams has become one of the most prolific tennis players of all time. Serena plays with an aggressive play style that has changed the way the game is played and viewed. Her serve is often considered by expert analysts to be the greatest serve delivered by a female tennis player. The power and consistency of her serves is only one aspect of her dynamic tennis game, one that includes a brutal forehand and a striking double-handed backhand.
Despite recent health scares that threatened her career and well-being, her win at Wimbledon this year and her two gold medals at the London Games show that her ambition, passion, skill set, and keen tennis smarts are back with a vengeance.
Can she add yet another Grand Slam title to her legendary resume at the 2012 U.S. Open?
Name: Serena Williams
Pro Since: 1995
Birthday: September 26, 1981
Astrological Sign: Libra
Stats: 5 feet 9 inches, 150 pounds
Birthplace: Saginaw, Michigan
Residence: Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Career Matches Won (pre-2012 U.S. Open): 531
Career Matches Lost (pre-2012 U.S. Open): 103
Career Singles Titles (pre-2012 U.S. Open): 44
2012 Matches Won (pre-U.S. Open): 44
2012 Matches Lost (pre-U.S. Open): 3
Major Tournament Wins
Australian Open (2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010)
French Open (2002)
Wimbledon (2002, 2003, 2009, 2010, 2012)
U.S. Open (1999, 2002, 2008)
2000 Sydney Games - women's doubles - gold medal
2008 Beijing Games - women's doubles - gold medal
2012 London Games - women's singles - gold medal
2012 London Games - women's doubles - gold medal
- Serena Williams has won 14 Grand Slam singles titles, 13 Grand Slam doubles titles, and 2 Grand Slam mixed doubles titles, for a total of 29 Grand Slam titles.
- Serena Williams' 29 Grand Slam titles place her ninth on the all-time Grand Slam titles list.
- Serena Williams and her sister, Venus Williams, are undefeated in Grand Slam doubles finals.
- Serena Williams is the most recent tennis player (male or female) to hold all of the Grand Slam singles titles simultaneously. She is only the fifth woman to ever accomplish this feat.
- Serena Williams' 14 Grand Slam singles titles place her sixth on the all-time list.
Official Website: www.serenawilliams.com
The author has been a devoted tennis fan for the past decade.