Transfer News: Paulinho Announces Move to Tottenham; Spurs Close to Signing Three More, Including David Villa

Yahoo Contributor Network

COMMENTARY | So much for Tottenham Hotspur waiting until late August to complete all of their summer business.

Multiple sources have confirmed that Corinthians and Brazil National Team star Paulinho will be joining Spurs this week. The 2013 Confederations Cup Bronze Ball winner stated the following during a Monday afternoon press conference: "This is a very hard moment for me. I have had three great years at Corinthians, but now it's time to go to Tottenham. The proposal came in, we sat down, analyzed and resolved it. I'm sure I made a great decision going to a big club, too. There comes a certain time when you need new challenges."

According to quotes taken from a Globo.com story, Paulinho will not play for Corinthians in Recopa Sudamericana contests because of "contractual requirements." That same story is claiming the transfer fee to be €20 million, or £17m. Greg Stobart of Goal.com reported via Twitter that Spurs are giving their soon-to-be new player a brief holiday before he is to report to London for preseason activities.

Paulinho, who will turn 25-years old later on this month, has been compared to current Tottenham player Mousa Dembele in overall style of play. His insertion into the 4-3-3 formation utilized by manager Andre Villas-Boas, along with the return of a fully fit Sandro, all-but guarantees that veteran Scott Parker will make his exit from White Hart Lane before the start of the season. It's also been heavily rumored that Tom Huddlestone, who is seeking first-team football, could join Parker in leaving Spurs this summer.

One player who seems set to remain at Tottenham is American Clint Dempsey. Selling Dempsey, who may be relegated to Europa League and cup duties come this August, would free up some cash that would aid Spurs in strengthening the squad before August. However, one person with knowledge of the situation told me last week that Tottenham are keen on keeping Dempsey for at least one more season in order to "continue to grow the team's US fan base."

All indications are that the Paulinho deal is only a start to what could be a very busy and happy week for Spurs. Goal.com reported on June 28 that Barcelona striker David Villa has agreed to personal terms with Tottenham, and that the transfer fee for that switch is being ironed out. Dinamo Zagreb executive director Zdravko Mamic told reporters on July 1 that his club is close to selling defender Tin Jedvaj and attacking midfielder Alen Halilovic, both 17-years old, to Spurs. Zagreb president Mirko Barisic had this to say about about Halilovic: "A lot of people have compared him to (former Tottenham midfielder) Luka Modric, but he's better than Luka was at this age. Everyone at the club thinks he has even more potential and that he will become one of the best players in the world."

A popular rumor that arose after Spurs officially introduced Franco Baldini as Technical Director was that Tottenham were interested in completing business in the early stages of the summer window. Today's news seems to prove the validity of those claims. Reports that up to four quality players could be joining Spurs between now and the end of the first week of July has me wondering the obvious: From where are the necessary funds in order to execute these deals coming? Selling off the likes of Parker, Huddlestone and front man Emmanuel Adebayor certainly isn't covering the bill, and chairman Daniel Levy has always favored evening things out as much as possible before the close of the summer window.

In other words, all eyes remain on Real Madrid target Gareth Bale.

For more: Baldini in, AVB to stay

Zac has been covering Tottenham Hotspur, USMNT, Holland, New York Red Bulls, Major League Soccer and other soccer leagues for Yahoo! Sports since 2010.

View Comments