Manchester United buying Falcao may have cleared the way for Spurs to capture Welbeck.
Tottenham Hotspur have emerged as the leaders to sign Danny Welbeck on loan. Radamel Falcao's move to Manchester United just about guaranteed that Welbeck would leave the club and Spurs have been chasing him very hard.
Welbeck will not come cheap. The Red Devils are demanding a £4 million loan fee, which seems crazy for a one-year loan for a player who isn't that good, but we live in crazy times.
With Roberto Soldado completely out of Mauricio Pochettino's team. Spurs have two strikers left. One is Emmanuel Adebayor and he only shows up to play occasionally, while the other, Harry Kane, is still young and can't be tasked with leading the line every match yet.
Welbeck would be a good fit, offering Pochettino the speedy forward they currently lack, as well as an open style of play shat should give Welbeck a good chance to put up some yards. One of the keys to Pochettino's high pressure and Welbeck would play into that right away.
Welbeck scored 10 goals for Manchester United season, but with Falcao, Robin van Persie and Wayne Rooney all part of the team now, they really had no use for him. That cleared his path to Spurs, who certainly do have a use for Welbeck or any forward really.
More from sbnation.com:
- Real Madrid now linked to Tottenham striker
- Tottenham Hotspur vs. Liverpool: Spurs thoroughly outplayed in loss
- Tottenham Hotspur v. Liverpool: Lineups and Match Thread
- Writers Prediction League: Tottenham Hotspur vs. Liverpool
- Striker target requires steep £4m loan fee
- Spurs to sign Jay Rodriguez in swap deal with Southampton?