With Andre Ward's impressive performance against Chad Dawson on Sept. 8, most boxing pound-for-pound lists are due for an update.
Here are the top five boxers in the world right now:
1. Floyd Mayweather (43-0-0)No surprise here, Mayweather is the most technically savvy active boxer around. "Money" put on an entertaining show in his last outing against Miguel Cotto, electing to trade blows with the bigger Puerto Rican instead of playing it safe. Even though Mayweather is better known for his defensive skills, he's clearly a well-rounded fighter, and it'll take a really special boxer to dethrone him.
2. Andre Ward (26-0-0)The likely heir to Mayweather's throne, Ward continues to improve with every fight, and his incredible work ethic should keep him on the right track. The "S.O.G" solidified his status with his dominant performance against Dawson, and it's pretty clear he's here to stay.
3. Manny Pacquiao (54-4-2)The past year has been rough for Pacquiao, and I think his best days are behind him. The Filipino congressman struggled during his 2011 fight against Juan Manuel Marquez, and he didn't do enough to redeem himself when he faced Timothy Bradley on June 9 (he ended up losing a controversial decision to "Desert Storm").
4. Juan Manuel Marquez (54-6-1)With losses to only Mayweather and Pacquiao in the last six years, Marquez' days are clearly numbered, but he's still one of the best boxers in the world right now. I scored Marquez' last fight against Pacquiao in his favor, and I wouldn't mind watching a fourth fight between the two.
5. Sergio Martinez (49-2-2)Martinez has stopped his last four opponents, and he's currently set to challenge Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. for the WBC middleweight title on Sept. 15. Martinez is arguably the best middleweight around, and he'll get a chance to prove it when he faces Chavez Jr.
Fight and fighter information from BoxRec.com
More from the Yahoo! Contributor Network:
- Sports & Recreation
- Floyd Mayweather
- Manny Pacquiao
- Andre Ward
- Juan Manuel Marquez
- Chad Dawson