The Michigan Wolverines have one of the oldest programs in college football. They have a fan base that not only stretches across America, but also around the world. While all fans have reasons to be proud of their teams, Michigan fans have countless reasons for their excitement.
These are the top 25 reasons it is good to be a Michigan Wolverines football fan:
25. Academics - Michigan is one of the best academic universities in the world, currently ranking #14; only Stanford ranks higher for FBS football schools. This proves you can put great teams on the field and maintain high academic standards.
24. Gerald Ford - The 1934 MVP and the 38th president of the United States.
23. Conference Titles - Michigan has won 42 Big Ten Conference titles.
22. Big Ten Football - Founding members of the conference in 1896.
21. Brady Hoke - Returned Michigan football to respectability after three disastrous seasons under him -- who shall not be named.
20. Largest Crowd - The September 10, 2011, game versus Notre Dame set a record for the largest crowd to attend a college football game, 114,804.
19. Home Game Attendance - Michigan has the longest streak of home game attendance of over 100,000. The streak sits at 239 games and began on November 8, 1975, versus Purdue.
18. 31 Consecutive Bowl Games - This is the longest streak of consecutive bowl appearances for any team in college football. The streak began on January 1, 1976, in the Orange Bowl against Oklahoma and ended after the January 1, 2008, Capital One Bowl against Florida.
17. Michigan Scores Points - The Wolverines have the longest current streak of not being shut out--349 games--in college football. The last time the Wolverines failed to score was October 20, 1984, against Iowa.
16. National Titles - Michigan has won or shared 11 national titles, most recently sharing the 1997 Title with Nebraska. This split title led to the formation of the BCS.
15. Can Beat Anyone from Anywhere - Michigan is one of only three FBS schools in college football to hold a winning record over every conference.
14. Most Winning Seasons - Michigan has the most winning seasons of any FBS school with 113.
13. Highest Winning Percentage - Michigan has the highest overall winning percentage of any FBS school (.736).
12. Most Wins in College Football - With 895 wins, Michigan football has more wins than any other team.
11. Michigan vs. Notre Dame - This rivalry dates back to 1887 and features two of the most successful and storied programs in FBS football.
10. Paul Bunyan Trophy - The annual game between Michigan and Michigan State is played for the Paul Bunyan Trophy, first introduced in 1953, and helps fuel the Great Divide.
9. The Little Brown Jug - This is the game played between Michigan and Minnesota, dating back to 1909, with the winner claiming the Little Brown Jug.
8. Tradition - The University of Michigan and Michigan football represent a long tradition of excellence and integrity that should be universally admired.
7. Golden Wings - One of the most recognizable helmets in all of sports, the golden wings have been on the Michigan helmet since 1938.
6. The Big House - Michigan Stadium is the largest stadium in college football and third largest stadium in the world, with a seating capacity of 109,901
5. The Great Divide - This is the split between Michigan residents who cheer for Michigan and Michigan State. This divide often splits immediate family members and makes the rivalry that much more interesting.
4. Ohio State Rivalry - This rivalry dates back to 1897, and since these two teams have played 108 times. The rivalry became most intense during what is called "The Ten Year War"
3. Bo Shembechler - Amplified the Ohio State rivalry with "The Ten Year War" against former mentor Woody Hayes. He is also one of the most successful coaches in the history of college football.
2. "The Victors" - The Michigan fight songs exemplifies the idea that Michigan is for winners. Michigan football symbolizes victory.
1. History - The University of Michigan has one of the oldest and most successful football programs in all of college football. With that, there have been many great players and notable people through the university and its football program.
*All data regarding Michigan football was found here.
*Anthony Witherell has been a lifelong fan of Michigan Wolverine football and attended many youth football camps at the university growing up.
Follow me on Twitter @AnthonyWitherel.
More from this contributor: