The San Diego Chargers set the gold standard for throwback uniforms with their spectacular "Powder Blues," originally worn as an alternate jersey in the early-1960s.
Combining a brilliant color scheme with a simplistic, yet fabulous lightning bolt logo on the helmet, it's easy to see why this is the greatest throwback uniform of all-time.
Here's a look at the rest of the top 25 greatest throwback uniforms in sports history:
21. Baltimore Orioles' Creamsicle Orange, 1971: These uniforms have a delightfully vintage look that just takes you back to "the good ol' days" when you see them. They remind me of Orioles greats like Brooks Robinson.
19. Denver Broncos' Big "D" Design, 1991: These uniforms immediately evoke memories of John Elway dropping back for a big pass.
18. New England Patriots, 1985: Long before the Tom Brady era, the Patriots were a terrible team and often finished in last place. However, their uniform was fantastic. I am a huge fan of the patriot on the side of the helmet in a three-point stance.
17. Atlanta Falcons, 1966: I love when the Falcons bring back their red helmets with the black Falcon crest in the middle.
16. Washington Redskins, 1972-1981: The Redskins' jersey hasn't changed much since 1983. Back in the late-'70s, the helmet design was slightly different and the sleeves had a better color scheme.
15. Houston Oilers, 1989: The Oilers' helmets from the 1980s had one of the most famous designs of all-time, to go along with a lovely color scheme. The baby blue uniform with a matching helmet with an oil derrick on the middle will immediately remind most fans of former Houston greats like Warren Moon.
14. Philadelphia Phillies' Vintage Home Unis, 1948: In 2008, the team brought back the vintage design worn by the team in the late-40s, much to the delight of Phillies fans.
13. New York Islanders, 1972-73: Islanders fans suffered through many years of horrendous jerseys in the 1990s. Luckily, the team recently decided to pay tribute to its roots by bringing back the design worn in 1972.
12. Minnesota North Stars, 1986-87: There's nothing quite like the green-and-gold uniforms worn by the North Stars in the late-'80s. Unfortunately, the team departed to Dallas in 1993, and the uniform was changed to reflect the move.
11. Edmonton Oilers, 1986-87:Besides a beautiful design, these uniforms remind me of Wayne Gretzky and other Oilers legends from their glory years.
10. Buffalo Bills, 1970: It doesn't get much better than the Bills' dark blue jerseys with the "roaming Buffalo" white helmet design.
9. Boston Red Sox, 1912:The Red Sox have one of the best uniforms in pro sports, but their 1912 tribute was quite classy.
8. Kansas City Royals' Powder Blues, 1981: I have a soft spot in my heart for powder blue jerseys, and this one ranks among the best of all time.
6. Dallas Cowboys, 1967: This one is simplistic, yet stylish. The Cowboys already have one of the classiest and most iconic logos in pro sports, but bringing back the 1967 design was a smart move.
5. Pittsburgh Penguins' Powder Blues, 1969-70: It's an amazing sight to see Sidney Crosby donning the Penguins' powder blue sweater from the late-'60s.
4. Toronto Maple Leafs, 1969-70: It's a shame the Maple Leafs don't bring these back on a full-time basis. Beautiful color scheme, great design, and a true fan-favorite.
3. Houston Astros' Rainbow Tops, 1975-79: Some fans absolutely hate the bright rainbow tops worn by the Astros in the late-'70s, but I think they had a lot of personality.
2. St. Louis Cardinals' Championship Tribute, 1982: The Cardinals recently paid tribute to their 1982 World Series championship team by sporting the jerseys they wore that season. There's a lot to like about this look: a rich color scheme, spectacular logo, and unique graphics.
1. San Diego Chargers' Powder Blues, 1960s: The gold standard for throwback jerseys in pro sports. Great design, incredible colors, and absolutely adorable.
Eric Holden is a lifelong New York Mets and New York Jets fan. Follow him on Twitter @ericholden.
- Sports & Recreation
- Arts & Entertainment
- San Diego Chargers
- New York Mets
- New York Jets
- throwback uniforms
- Philadelphia Eagles