The NCAA has been gripped by an outpouring of new uniforms with the addition of the new Nike Pro Combat line, which is purported to markedly improve performance but also seems to add fashionable flare.
Many teams have even updated their uniforms even, if they have chosen another make than the Nike Pro Combat. Fans have responded enthusiastically to these uniform updates.
The following is a list of the top 25 sleekest new college football uniforms:
1. Northwestern: One of the most distinctive uniforms in the NCAA. Northwestern's vibrantly purple jersey with three powerful black stripes across the mid-chest is eye-catching. This ignores the excellent contrast that the jersey makes with the all-white pants and the royal all purple helmet with a capital N that caps off the uniform.
2. Nebraska: The Cornhuskers have found themselves an iconic uniform of a powerful all-red and with an over-sized N emblazoned on the front. Their shiny black helmets highlight the tandem black stripes on the shoulders.
3. Oregon: The Ducks have risen from previous uniform flops to put together an intimidating uniform that is alien-like in color and appearance. The mystique of the uniform is interesting and holds one's attention.
4. West Virginia: West Virginia has brought out an all-gray uniform decorated with blue stripes and yellow trim. It is a simple but athletic look.
5. Maryland: After wearing what many have called the ugliest uniforms in the league last year, Maryland has incorporated its red, yellow, black, and white color scheme in a more subtle way. The helmet carries a checkered form of the color scheme on each side, while the white jersey is offset by red pants.
6. Texas Christian: The new and popular anthracite gray is used in the majority of the uniform but in combination with the traditional purple and black motif of TCU. The dark purple and black helmets finish off the combination well.
7. Marshall: Marshall has gone with a surprisingly successful combination of bright green pants with a white jersey. It is a sleek, quick, and athletic look complemented with the white, green-striped helmet.
8. Minnesota: Minnesota's new all-maroon uniform with matte maroon helmet is a classic and powerful combination that avoid the usual clash of its yellow and maroon color scheme.
9. Baylor: Baylor has utilized its color scheme to put together a fierce combination of green and black. In addition, the bear paws on the should add to the intimidation factor of the uniform. The helmets are also a unique green color.
10. Kansas: Kansas has gone with a classic blue jersey and white pants combination. The uniform is nowhere near as flashy as many of the new Nike Pro Combat, but the simplicity of it is what makes it work.
11. Missouri: Mizzou has refashioned with an powerful jersey that alternates its white, black, and yellow colors. However, the roaring Tiger symbol on the helmet is what makes the uniform.
12. Wyoming: In support of the military, Wyoming has put together a uniform with camouflage-patterned shoulders and thigh boards with a matte brown helmet and glossy cowboy symbol. A risky and unique combination, but I think it works.
13. Wisconsin: The Badgers have turned to Adidas to put formulate a throwback styled uniform of white with red trim on the legs and shoulders. The block "W" is framed perfectly in the center of the chest and carries a weighty significance.
14. Air Force: Air Force has finally caught up to the update to its uniforms that Navy made in 2011. However, it has outdone Navy. The Air Force uniform is all a light gray marked, with a sleek blue lightning bolt in a strategic place on the uniforms and helmet.
15. Army: Army's new uniform has endeavored on getting away from the camouflaged look, which was overused in the past. The new uniform combines a light black and almost navy blue jersey with light gray pants and dark gray undergarments. The look is still suiting to the army but much more stylish.
16. Oklahoma State: The metallic silver jersey, orange trimmed dark gray pants, and the matte gray helmet with a shocking orange OSU emblem complete an excellent ensemble for Oklahoma State.
17. Arkansas: The Razorbacks have turned to the Nike Pro Combat line, which turned out a fierce new dark gray uniform and pants that are decorated with red sleeves and sides of the pants. The Razorback emblem on the red or white helmets is equally fierce.
18. Rutgers: Rutgers has had Nike Pro Combat put together a forceful all-red uniform that it tops of with the reflectively shiny silver helmets, carrying a stylized R. The high and tight fit of the uniforms looks exquisitely athletic.
19. Michigan: The Wolverines have one of the most distinctive helmets in college football, which evokes the image of a Wolverine. They preserved this design in their new uniforms, but have gone with a sleek Nike Pro Combat look and less shiny yellow pants -- an overall better look than previous years.
20. Utah State: Utah State has also opted to the Nike Pro Combat upgrade, adding a navy blue jersey with grayish-white pants. The look is not flashy, but the old-school Utah State logo on the helmets give the uniform an old-fashioned quality.
21.Vanderbilt: The Commodores have chosen to mollify their gaudy color scheme of black and gold with a little more black added to the gold jersey. The Commodores' star on the all black helmets is also a nice touch.
22. Appalachian State: The Mountaineers have added a Pro Combat alternate jersey that is ferocious enough to beat competitors by itself. The black jerseys with shoulder decal and the solid yellow pants and helmets are a powerful combination.
23.Texas A&M: Adidas formulated the Lone Star TECHFIT design for Texas A&M, which will look sharp this year in this updated yet all wine-red uniform.
24.San Diego State: Turning to Nike Pro Combat like many other, San Diego State has found itself a simple, athletic-looking combination of white with orange trim and thin stripes for the upcoming season.
25. Southern Mississippi: The uniform is a retro, harking back to the 1970s with the school's USM logo with an over-sized S on the helmets and the black and yellow striping motif over both of the entire shoulders. It is a classical football look.
I am an Ohio resident and avid Ohio State Buckeyes fan. I attend college close to the Ohio State University and follow them throughout NCAAF play.