Los Angeles (AFP) - Tony Stewart will sit out Saturday's NASCAR race in Bristol, Tennessee, the third Sprint Cup race he's missed since his car struck and killed a fellow driver in a dirt-track race.
Kevin Ward Jr was killed on August 9 during a lower-level dirt track race at Canandaigua Motorsports Park in New York state.
Ward had exited his damaged vehicle and was walking on the track when Stewart's car hit and killed him.
The cars of both drivers had tangled on a prior lap, with Ward hitting the wall.
Video showed the 20-year-old Ward climbing out of his car and walking on the half-mile dirt track during the caution period, apparently pointing at Stewart -- a three-time winner of NASCAR's elite Sprint cup series -- as he came around the dimly lit track.
Police said in the days after the incident they had found "no criminal behavior" on the part of Stewart, but an investigation into the crash is ongoing.
Brett Frood, executive vice president of Stewart Haas Racing, said last week that Stewart was "grieving" and that there was no timetable for his return to racing.
- Sports & Recreation
- Motor Racing
- Tony Stewart