Tired of waiting, Shields just wants to fight

Steven Marrocco

Former EliteXC welterweight champion Jake Shields says there's no delay on his end in facing Jason "Mayhem" Miller in Strikeforce.

"If they hand me the bout agreement today, I'll sign it," Shields told MMAWeekly.com.

Miller last month announced that he'd be facing the Top 10 welterweight in the near future, though his manager, Ryan Parsons, told MMAWeekly.com the timing of the bout was uncertain. Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said his promotion was working on major events for October and December and entertained the possibility of an interim middleweight title fight for Miller and Shields.

Miller backed off his announcement this week despite a desire to fight Shields, telling MMAJunkie.com that "something was wrong" and he had not received a bout agreement.

Shields on Wednesday night said the delays are on Miller's end.

"People at Strikeforce told me Miller needed more time, so as far as what's going on, I don't know," he said. "Maybe he needed more time and was trying to pass it on."

Shields appeared on the first season of Miller's hit MTV show, "Bully Beatdown," and is expected to make an appearance on the second season. Shields' manager/father, Jack Shields, said the two are friends, though a fight between the two would be "all business."

Parsons on Thursday told MMAWeekly.com that Miller had spoken too soon and there "wasn't any drama" with the delay.

"Strikeforce is trying to find the right time for the bout," he said.

Jake Shields said he didn't want to make it personal with Miller, but was frustrated with the situation.

"I want to fight now," he continued. "I don't want to be wasting time. I'm training for a certain type of fight, and I don't want it to get pushed back. But I guess it happens, and I'll deal with it."

Dealing with it, Shields added, may include asking for a different opponent in October.

"If Strikeforce offers me another opponent, I'll definitely take another opponent," he said. "I'd like to fight Miller, but I'll fight someone else. I'd rather fight now."

Strikeforce officials were not available for comment on the delay at the time of this writing.