Eddie Alvarez for Stephan Bonnar? Sounds fair.
It never happened inside the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Octagon, but it could go down inside the Bellator MMA cage.
Former UFC Light Heavyweight Stephan Bonnar has signed a multi-fight deal with the Viacom-owned mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion and already has his sights set on fellow UFC import Tito Ortiz, according to a statement provided to MMA Fighting:
"I want everyone to know I'm coming out of retirement because it's time to free the MMA world of the virus that's known as Tito Ortiz. We've been suffering through his boring fights for too many years, and it's about time that someone beats it out of him once and for all."
Tito and Bonnar have a longstanding feud that all started when "The Huntington Beach Bad Boy" scoffed at Bonnar's UFC Hall of Fame induction, saying he hadn't done enough to warrant a spot.
That prompted "The American Psycho" to hit below the belt and fire back at Tito (and his bank account), suggesting that the former champion was broke because Jenna Jameson, his girlfriend at the time, took him for all he had.
Now it's time to put up or shut up.
The victory ended Tito's three-year winless drought.
As for Bonnar, this would be his first fight in nearly two years after the season one Ultimate Fighter (TUF) veteran retired from mixed martial arts (MMA) after getting knocked out by Anderson Silva in the very first round at UFC 153.
After the fight, it was discovered that Stephan had tested positive for Drostanolone, a banned substance Bonnar said he took prior to getting the Silva fight because he thought his career was already over at that point.
But it looks as if "The American Psycho" is ready to dust off the old gloves and handle his business with
"the biggest a hole the sport has ever known" his old UFC colleague.
More from sbnation.com:
- Chris Leben reveals he was 'blackout drunk' and trashed hotel the day before weigh ins for Brian Stann fight
- Dana White in breach of UFC protocol, forced to apologize to ousted judge Howard Hughes following internal review
- Video: Jose Aldo shoves Chad Mendes at UFC 179 media day in Brazil, nearly recreates 'Jones vs. Cormier' brawl
- Ronda Rousey: Gina Carano is the one who insists on fighting me at bantamweight
- Michael Bisping vs. Cung Le full fight video highlights from UFC Fight Night 48: Macau
- Pic: Cung Le's Face Is Destroyed After Four Rounds Against Michael Bisping
- Mixed Martial Arts
- Martial Arts
- Stephan Bonnar
- Tito Ortiz
- Eddie Alvarez