Three first-time captains were named by the team to serve along side Ben Roethlisberger as team captains in 2014.
Not that he ever needed the distinction to be viewed as such, but a team currently caught in a youth movement is wise to use their most distinguished player as the symbol of leadership.
Golden, the team's best special teams player in 2013, is a back-up safety. Suisham, the team's kicker since 2011, just signed a contract extension this offseason.
Roethlisberger served as captain alongside Ryan Clark, Brett Keisel and Maurkice Pouncey last season. Clark is now with the Washington Redskins and Keisel was just signed back to the team after training camp had ended. Pouncey, also the recipient of a contract extension this offseason, is seen as the leader of the offensive line.
The Steelers begin the 2014 season at home vs. Cleveland Sunday.
More from sbnation.com:
- Steelers Film Room: Why Wesley Johnson and Dan McCullers made the team
- Browns vs. Steelers: Brian Hoyer is 'on the right side of this rivalry now'
- LeBeau 28-13 against quarterbacks in their first start against him
- Steelers roster analysis: Other moves appear imminent as Steelers prepare for Week 1 vs. Cleveland
- Steelers 2014 draft class well represented on 53-man roster
- NFL roster cuts: Summarizing ex-Steelers players who were released Saturday
- UPDATE Steelers 2014 practice squad signings: Steelers sign 10 players
- Weekend Checkdown: the top stories of the week