Tottenham Hotspur supporters hoping to see or hear good news regarding wantaway midfielder Luka Modric may want to stop reading right about now.
Manager Andre Villas-Boas, who took over at Spurs at the beginning of July, addressed reporters on Wednesday. Villas-Boas was asked about the talented Modric, and he was very clear that Spurs are willing to sell the midfielder; but for the right price. "The interest that we have from various different clubs shows the importance of the player and what he's done for Tottenham," Villas-Boas said. "It's fair to say that the club respects Luka's ambitions and his willingness to move on and he respects the fact that he's an important player for the club and can help us move forward. Ongoing discussions will continue with these clubs until we reach an agreement which is acceptable for each party."
Thus far this summer, Modric has been linked with Real Madrid, Manchester United and PSG. Recent reports have suggested that Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy, who told supporters in an end of the 2011-12 season address that Spurs would not be selling star players this summer, has put a £40m price-tag on Modric. Sources such as Mirror Football reported last week that Real Madrid is Modric's desired destination, and that money is now the only issue preventing that deal from being completed.
Tottenham goalkeeper Brad Friedel told talkSPORT that Spurs likely won't sell Modric without first having a Plan B already in place. "Knowing the way the chairman works, if someone like Luka Modric left the club, then they would have a ready-made replacement," Friedel stated. "I can't see with the ambition that the club has that they can let players leave without having a replacement. We're not a selling club - that's for sure." Spurs have been linked with Porto midfielder Joao Moutinho. Moutinho was managed by Villas-Boas before AVB signed on at Chelsea in June 2011.
As has been noted in previous pieces, the Modric Saga of last summer was one that unquestionably played a role in the team being routed by both Manchester United and Manchester City at the start of the 2011-12 campaign. Levy and then manager Harry Redknapp refused to sell the midfielder to Chelsea despite receiving a £40m offer, a decision that worked out rather nicely until Spurs lost out on Champions League due to Chelsea winning the competition this past May. With rumors swirling that Moutinho could cost Spurs £30m and that Tottenham are interested in bringing back front man Emmanuel Adebayor on a full-time basis, you can be sure that Levy will hold out as long as possible on a Modric sale until he receives the offer he desires.
With that said, Wednesday's comments from AVB also suggest that he wants to put this subject to bed as soon as possible. I'm just fine with such an approach. Dragging the matter out isn't going to lessen Modric's desire to play Champions League football and win trophies starting this fall. I also like the idea of Villas-Boas having a full squad before August 31.
No car window pressers necessary.