The San Diego State Aztecs are blowing out NAU 24-0 at halftime.
The San Diego State Aztecs are beating the Northern Arizona University Lumberjacks 24-0, after the first half of play, in both teams 2014 season opener.
Sophomore running back Donnel Pumphrey got the Aztecs on the board with a one-yard rushing touchdown midway through the first quarter. Pumphrey was the focal point of the offense for SDSU carrying the ball 13 times for 85 yards, and also had one reception for 31 yards.
SDSU got some help on the ground from junior running back Chase Price as well, who scored a one-yard rushing touchdown, late in the first quarter. Price has six carries for 31 yards so far in the game.
Throughout the first half it looked like offensive coordinator Bob Toledo will lean on both Price and Pumphrey to carry the offense, with Pumphrey getting more of the carries. SDSU racked up 138 yards on the ground, compared to just 38 yards for NAU.
Senior wide receiver Ezell Ruffin has been pretty quiet thus far, with the emphasis on the run game, and has three catches for 34 yards at halftime.
A sight to be seen by Aztecs fans, junior transfer placekicker Donny Hageman knocked in a 48-yard field goal, early in the second quarter. However, before fans could get psyched about the teams new kicker, Hageman missed badly on a 46-yard attempt.
Senior quarterback Quinn Kaehler has done a nice job managing the game, but it was clear the Aztecs goal, was to pound the rock in the first half of this game. Kaehler is 12-19, with just 158 yards, but has not thrown an interception.
Kaehler added a two-yard touchdown pass to junior tight end Robert Craighead, late in the second quarter.
The NAU offense sputtered in the first half, not scoring, due to some dropped passes, and pressure by SDSU's defense.
Junior quarterback Kyren Poe completed six of his 12 passes for 73 yards, and NAU's run game has not been as effective as SDSU's. Not to mention that one of the Lumberjacks first drives was stalled, thanks to a dropped pass from senior wide receiver Ify Umodo
Senior linebacker Derek Largent recorded a sack in the first quarter, and there has been pressure on Poe throughout the game.
It looks like SDSU wont be upset like they were in last years home opener against Eastern Illinois. The Aztecs run game was as good as advertised and have been able to keep their offense on the field , converting 14 first downs, and were on the field for over 16 minutes.
More from sbnation.com:
- San Diego State Basketball: Aztecs release 2014-15 non-conference schedule
- San Diego State Football: Q&A with "Voice of the Lumberjacks" Mitch Strohman about Northern Arizona football
- San Diego State Football: Aztecs release Week 1 depth chart
- San Diego State vs. Northern Arizona game preview: Aztecs look to start season better than last year
- San Diego State Basketball: Four-star shooting guard Rex Pflueger visiting SDSU this weekend
- San Diego State Basketball: Aztecs invite San Diego community to their ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
- San Diego State Football: Coach Long names junior transfer Donny Hageman starting placekicker
- Sports & Recreation
- American Football
- San Diego State Aztecs
- San Diego State
- San Diego State Basketball