What's buzzing:

Rua claims title at eventful UFC 113

Rua claims title at eventful UFC 113

View photo

Mauricio "Shogun" Rua atoned for his loss to Lyoto Machida at UFC 104

You can follow Kevin Iole on Twitter at @KevinI

MONTREAL – Mauricio "Shogun" Rua made certain there was no controversy this time around, taking the Ultimate Fighting Championship light heavyweight title from Lyoto Machida with a devastating first-round knockout Saturday at the Bell Centre in the main event of UFC 113.

Machida, who won a highly controversial decision at UFC 104 in October, missed a right hand to start the closing sequence. Rua landed a grazing right and the two went down. Rua then landed a crushing right from the top that closed Machida's eye and essentially ended the fight.

Rua landed several more blows before referee Yves Lavigne mercifully stopped the bout.

The fight was fought on even terms until the final sequence. Machida had two takedowns and Rua had landed several hard kicks.

On the undercard, Josh Koscheck outwrestled Paul Daley in a lackluster welterweight fight that was more notable for post-fight antics. Koscheck won a 30-27 decision and earned the right to fight welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre in December. The UFC had announced on Friday that the winner of the Koscheck-Daley fight would coach opposite St. Pierre in "The Ultimate Fighter 12."

Daley, who is a power puncher, had no answer for Koscheck's superior wrestling skills. Koscheck repeatedly took him down and while he didn't do much damage, he easily controlled the fight and nullified Daley's punching power.

After the fight, Daley walked over to Koscheck, who shooed him away. Daley then threw a punch at him, forcing referee Dan Miragliotta to step in. UFC president Dana White entered the cage and berated Daley for his actions.

The large and vocal crowd did not like the fight and booed lustily throughout. It frequently chanted obscenities at Koscheck, but the fighter upped the ante by ripping into the hometown Montreal Canadiens of the NHL.

In a battle between two of the UFC's most exciting lightweights, Jeremy Stephens slugged his way to a split-decision victory over Sam Stout. Judge Pasquale Procopio had it 30-27 and judge David Therien had it 29-28, both for Stephens. Judge Tony Weeks had it 29-28 for Stout. Yahoo! Sports had it 29-28 for Stephens.

The fight was fought on very even terms and both fighters left the cage bleeding from the nose and mouth, but Stephens seemed to have a little more power on his punches, and that might have been the difference.

Stout nearly rallied to win late in the third. He kicked Stephens, which Stephens thought was a low blow. Stephens grimaced and began to walk away, expecting referee Mario Yamasaki to halt the action.

But Yamasaki ruled it was a legal kick. Stout followed with several punches that put Stephens down, but Stephens did a good job of defending himself from his back.

Matt Mitrione scored a big victory over his much more well-known castmate from Season 10 of "The Ultimate Fighter" when he beat up Kimbo Slice and stopped him at 4:24 of the second round in a one-sided heavyweight fight.

The fight wasn't the standup battle that many expected. In the first round, Mitrione and Slice were rolling around the ring. Mitrione nearly submitted Slice with a triangle choke, then later he worked for several other submissions, none of which got close.

"It was tight," Mitrione said of the triangle. "I thought I had him, but then Kimbo put his thumb in my eye. Even the ref saw it."

He was working Slice's legs over in the second with leg kicks and it was clear that Slice did not appreciate the kicks and was unable to check them. He was backing away from Mitrione and trying to hide his lead leg.

Mitrione took him down and got a dominant position and pounded on him until Miragliotta stopped it.

"I feel like I softened him with those legs kicks and then when he went for that shot, I took him down," Mitrione said.

Alan Belcher continued his nice run in the middleweight division by catching Patrick Cote in a rear naked choke and scoring a submission at 3:25 of the second.

Belcher slammed Cote face first into the mat just before the choke. Cote and his camp complained that it was a spike and should have been against the rules, but replays showed that Cote's face hit first and not the top of his head. Had he come down on top of his head, it would have been an illegal move.

After the bout, Belcher called out UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva.

"I feel like I've won five in a row," Belcher said. "I won that [Yoshihiro] Akiyama fight [at UFC 100]. I want the winner of Chael Sonnen and Anderson Silva. I believe I'm ready for a title shot."