Roy Jones Jr will be back again on September 26, as he's suddenly a busy fighter.
Legendary (and now totally shot) fighter Roy Jones Jr will be back in the ring on September 26, fighting for the second time in two months, this time making his way to Krasnodar, Russia, for what should be another easy night of work.
Jones, 45, beat Courtney Fry on July 26 in Latvia, stopping the UK club fighter after five rounds. This time out, he'll face Hany Atiyo (14-2, 10 KO), a similar non-entity. Atiyo hasn't fought since June 2013, when he was knocked out in four rounds by Joey Vegas in Uganda.
Jones (58-8, 41 KO) is basically on an exhibition tour at this point, getting paid a little money to put on shows for fans that didn't get the chance to see him live in his prime. It's hardly the worst thing -- nobody really wants to see Jones face anyone legitimate again, but fighting guys like Atiyo, Fry, and Zine Eddine Benmakhlouf isn't so bad. They pose little threat to Roy, even at his age, and clearly enough fans are willing to go to these fights that they remain viable. Also, Roy gets to rap at most of these shows, so that's fun.
More from sbnation.com:
- Problematic: 10 fights made Adrien Broner a star, but what have they proven?
- Mayweather vs Maidana 2: All Access, Full Episode 1
- Floyd Mayweather: Maidana is trying to pull Antonio Margarito move with gloves
- Vasyl Lomachenko gets opponent for Pacquiao-Algieri undercard
- Mayweather vs Maidana 2: Marcos Maidana's rematch game plan
- Bob Arum is confident Mayweather will accept mega-fight
- Sports & Recreation
- Roy Jones Jr