As they trim their roster down for the upcoming roster cut date, the San Diego Chargers have released 11 players that weren't going to make the team without a miracle occurring.
With the first round of roster cuts coming tomorrow, the San Diego Chargers decided to go ahead and get some of it over with early. They released 11 players today, which takes them from 90 players on the roster to 79. They'll need to release 4 more tomorrow.
Here are the 11 guys that got some bad news today:
- Nick Becton, OT
- Zach Boren, RB
- Jake Byrne, TE
- Brelan Chancellor, WR
- Adrian Hamilton, LB
- Micah Hatfield, WR
- Darryl Johnson, OG
- Ryan Otten, TE
- Lowell Rose, DB
- Chase Tenpenny, P
- Kerwynn Williams, RB
My sincerest apologies to Lowell Rose. I can't help but feeling like part of his release was caused by me trying to look intelligent earlier today:
Lowell Rose is a sneaky 53-man candidate.— Bolts From The Blue (@BFTB_Chargers) August 25, 2014
As for the rest of them, there are no surprise cuts here. Even with a good preseason (like Jake Byrne was having), none of these guys had much of a chance at making the Chargers' 53-man roster. These were all third and fourth-string players.
More from sbnation.com:
- San Diego Chargers First Team Defense Impressive Against 49ers First Team Offense
- Chargers-49ers Final Score: San Francisco wins 21-7 preseason game over San Diego
- San Diego Chargers Daily Links: August 25, 2014
- San Diego Chargers Snap Counts: Preseason Week 3 at San Francisco 49ers
- A Gambler's Guide to 2014 NFL Betting