Perhaps "Conviction" knows something we don't?
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) women's bantamweight titleholder Ronda Rousey is no stranger to the featherweight division, having started her career at 145 pound before making the drop down to run the table in the lighter weight class.
Would she be willing to move back up?
Only for ex-Strikeforce star Gina Carano (sorry, Cyborg), but it sounds like that won't be necessary, since "Conviction" is insisting on a fight at bantamweight, if and when she can come to terms with UFC and earn a title shot against the "Rowdy" one.
Rousey breaks it down for Bloody Elbow:
"I think Gina is the worst style match up for me, actually. One of the reasons why I've been so excited to fight her, was because she has that feeling of distance, and that feeling of timing, and mobility to put those touches in her punches where she has that one-punch knockout power. There's a lot of other girls that they're strong, but they don't have that feeling. So they overwhelm people and they only get TKOs. There's none of that one-punch knockout power, and that's the kind of thing that you don't lose. It's that kind of thing that stays with you even if you take time off. I think styles do make fights, and style wise, Gina is the absolute worst match up for me. That's why I've been wanting to fight her for a while, because she could be one of my biggest challenges. She's been the one insisting on fighting at 135, so yeah, I would love to fight her at 135. I prefer that, definitely. I feel like there's where I'm at my athletic peak. I walk into the Octagon around 148, and I usually walk around at 150."
Carano, at times, struggled to make the 145-pound limit and hasn't prepared for a fight in over five years. In addition, the former American Gladiator is now 32 years old and entering a world of mixed martial arts (MMA) that is vastly different from the one that was operating when she set sail for Hollywood.
Is she still a threat to the throne? Rousey seems to think so, how about you?
More from sbnation.com:
- Michael Bisping vs. Cung Le full fight video highlights from UFC Fight Night 48: Macau
- Pic: Cung Le's Face Is Destroyed After Four Rounds Against Michael Bisping
- Rafael dos Anjos vs. Ben Henderson knockout video shows controversial stoppage at UFC Fight Night 49
- UFC Fight Night 48 results: Michael Bisping stops Cung Le
- UFC Fight Night 48, 49 results recap: Biggest winners, losers from doubleheader weekend in Macau, Tulsa
- UFC Fight Night 49 results: Rafael dos Anjos knocks out Ben Henderson
- Martial Arts
- Sports & Recreation
- Ronda Rousey
- Gina Carano
- Ultimate Fighting Championship