Notre Dame president Rev. John I. Jenkins told trustees in a letter submitted to them on Friday that university officials decided within hours of learning of the girlfriend hoax involving linebacker Manti Te'o that no crime had been committed and decided within a few days that no NCAA violation had been committed, multiple media outlets reported Friday citing an Associated Press report as a source. According to the South Bend Tribune, Rev. Jenkins wrote in the letter, a copy of which was obtained by AP, that despite "the unrelenting scrutiny of hundreds of journalists and countless others -- and repeated attempts by some to create a different impression -- no facts relating to the hoax have been at odds with what Manti told us" on Dec. 27-28. "We did our best to get to the truth in extraordinary circumstances, be good stewards of the interests of the university and its good name and -- as we do in all things -- to make the well-being of our students one of our very highest priorities." The letter included a four-page description of how Notre Dame handled the hoax. Multiple media outlets reported Jenkins said in the copy that Notre Dame officials discussed the matter after hearing from Te'o on Dec. 26. They agreed there was no indication of a crime or student conduct code violation. On Dec. 28, after athletic director Jack Swarbrick spoke with Te'o the next day, the school determined there was no evidence of an NCAA rules violation. The school then made moves to find out who was behind the hoax.
- Politics & Government