Would Allen really spurn LeBron in order to join the champion Spurs?
One more Spurs rumble with Team USA v Finland now seven hours away: Reigning champs, I'm told, trying to barge into Ray Allen Sweepstakes— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) August 30, 2014
First, let's set aside the fact of how awesome Marc Stein is, and how enjoyable it is to imagine the Spurs barging into the middle of an official league sweepstakes over the previously-reviled Allen, although I could probably hold forth on those topics for a considerable amount of time. There are more pressing items to address immediately.
Aside from the training camp invites (Bryce Cotton, JaMychal Green, etc) the Spurs currently have 14 players under contract for the coming year, and if Aron Baynes accepts his qualifying offer -- increasingly improbable, but still possible -- they'll be without any available spots to sign anyone unless they're looking into a trade, or preparing to waive someone.
This gambit looks puzzling at the moment, but in the extremely unlikely event that Allen can be lured away from the coattails of LeBron James, it certainly opens up any number of intriguing possibilities.
More to come as soon as it's available.
More from sbnation.com:
- Phil Jackson Vs. Gregg Popovich: Compare and Contrast: Part 2
- Celebrate the Spurs' championship with a t-shirt
- Pop won't remember your name
- A Spurs-centric FIBA World Cup preview
- Tiago Splitter's best assists of the season: Part 2
- Tiago Splitter's best assists of 2013-14 Part 1
- Comparing Gregg Popovich and Phil Jackson: Part 1
- Sports & Recreation
- Ray Allen