BREAKING:

Report: Six recruits standing by Penn State

The SportsXchange

A group of Penn State recruits for the Class of 2013 reportedly have reaffirmed their verbal commitments to the Big Ten school.

"Yes, we are all 100 percent committed," prospective tight end Adam Breneman told PennLive.com, speaking for a half dozen recruits who met Saturday with Penn State coach Bill O'Brien. "Halfway through the day the six of us went up to coach O'Brien's office and told him we are going to stay committed. We believe in coach O'Brien and his coaching staff."

Among the players speaking to the coach was Christian Hackenberg, a four-star quarterback by Rivals.com. Also standing by their commitments were Will Fuller (Philadelphia/Roman Catholic), offensive linemen Brendan Mahon (Randolph, N.J./Randolph) and Andrew Nelson (Hershey, Pa./Hershey), and defensive lineman Garrett Sickels (Little Silver, N.J./Red Bank Regional).

Last week, Penn State received sanctions from the NCAA that included a $60 million fine, a four-year postseason and bowl ban, initial scholarships reduced by 25 to 15 the next four years, allow entering and returning athletes allowed to transfer without penalty if eligible, vacating 112 football victories and a five-year probation.

Many recruits were expected to change their commitments because of the penalties and some schools have been trying to poach current players on the roster. However, Hackenberg even took to Twitter to stand by the Nittany Lions, which has 12 commitments in its 2013 recruiting class so far.

"Love this 2013 class. @AdamBreneman87 @BigBabyMahon @Will_Fuller7 @DorianJ64 @GarrettSickels @ANelson59," Hackenberg wrote.

As did Fuller: "GREAT time at Penn State! Coach O'Brien made me remember why I committed in the 1st place. I'm 100% committed to the greatest college," Fuller wrote.
View Comments (7)