Updated at 5:39 pm EDT.
Marco Di Vaio’s contract with the Montreal Impact was set to expire in January, and after months of uncertainty regarding his future with the Impact the leading scorer in MLS has finally decided to remain in MLS for another season.
Confirming reports that surfaced in Italy earlier in the day, the Impact officially announced on Tuesday that the designated player will return for the 2014 MLS season. Di Vaio was said to be considering retirement following the conclusion of the current campaign.
“We are extremely pleased that Marco decided to stay with us,” Impact president Joey Saputo said in a club statement. “He is a player that has lived up to the expectations we had when we brought him in as our first ever designated player.”
The 37-year-old currently shares the league scoring lead with Chicago's Mike Magee, and he was selected to represent MLS in the 2013 All-Star Game. His 19 goals are 14 more than the next-best Montreal goalscorer, Brazilian midfielder Felipe.
“I am very pleased to be back with the Impact in 2014,” Di Vaio said. “After discussions with my family, it was clear that I wanted to keep playing and I am happy to be in Montreal for another season.”
The Impact are currently in Los Angeles getting set to take on the Galaxy on Wednesday.
Follow GOAL CANADA on Twitter
- Sports & Recreation
- Marco Di Vaio
- Montreal Impact