Buzzing on Yahoo Sports:

Report: Giants, Pence agree to $90 million deal

The SportsXchange

The San Francisco Giants and outfielder Hunter Pence agree to a five-year, $90 million contract, CBSSports.com reported Saturday.

The deal, which is still pending a physical, could be officially announced Sunday. It reportedly includes a no-trade clause.

Giants CEO Larry Baer and Pence spoke at Pence's locker after Friday night's game while reporters were present. Baer said he only congratulated Pence for winning the team's Willie Mac Award, given to the team's most inspirational player. However, Pence said the two sides were set to discuss a contract extension before free agency starts.

Pence helped the Giants win the World Series last year after they acquired him from the Philadelphia Phillies late in the season.

Pence was seeking a five-year deal worth at least $85 million, similar to the deal the Dodgers gave to outfielder Andre Ethier.

Early in the process, the Giants reportedly suggested an offer similar to the one Cleveland Indians outfielder Nick Swisher got: four years for $56 million.

General manager Brian Sabean has said that re-signing Pence is the team's biggest priority this offseason. The Giants also hope to hang on to pitchers Tim Lincecum and Javier Lopez.

Pence, 30, has a batting line of .282/.339/.481 with 26 home runs and 94 RBIs, and started each of the first 160 games this year. He has said that he would be willing to avoid free agency and re-sign with the Giants.
Sign up for Yahoo Fantasy Football
View Comments (42)