The Red Sox will have Allen Craig back in the lineup, taking over for David Ortiz at DH as they try to salvage at least one win from this series against the Angels.
|LOS ANGELES ANGELS||BOSTON RED SOX|
|Kole Calhoun - RF||Brock Holt - 3B|
|Mike Trout - CF||Dustin Pedroia - 2B|
|Albert Pujols - 1B||Daniel Nava - RF|
|Josh Hamilton - DH||Yoenis Cespedes - LF|
|Howie Kendrick - 2B||Allen Craig - DH|
|David Freese - 3B||Kelly Johnson - 1B|
|Erick Aybar - SS||Xander Bogaerts - SS|
|Chris Iannetta - C||Mookie Betts - CF|
|Collin Cowgill - LF||Christian Vazquez - C|
|Matt Shoemaker - RHP||Rubby De La Rosa - RHP|
It's not surprising to see the Red Sox easing Craig back into major league action with a game at DH. Usually, sacrificing David Ortiz' bat would be quite the hit to take, but given that the team isn't exactly in the business of winning games at this very moment, it's not the most painful of sacrifices for John Farrell to make in the name of getting everyone playing time and gathering information before 2014.
Mike Napoli is also absent once more, with his back still causing him troubles. This means yet more playing time for Kelly Johnson, who is officially the James Loney of 2014. One wonders if the Rays will pick him up again for 2015 just one year after letting him go to New York. If so, we should be prepared to have him hit like Barry Bonds against us, because that's just the way things work.
First pitch is at 7:10 p.m. ET with broadcast on NESN, WEEI, and the MLB Network.
More from sbnation.com:
- Rusney Castillo sweepstakes down to Red Sox, Tigers, Giants
- Red Sox place six players on waivers, and why that doesn't matter
- It's Ben Affleck's birthday, so the Red Sox will probably lose today
- The importance of Christian Vazquez's final weeks
- Roger Clemens would wear a Red Sox hat into the Hall of Fame
- Red Sox want Giancarlo Stanton, but Yoenis Cespedes won't help get him