A 2014 football recruit visited Notre Dame last weekend and said it was a good experience.
At least that's what Stanley Williams, a junior running back from George Walton Academy in Georgia, told 247Sports.com.
"It was great to experience something new and different, and we had a great time at the game," he said in a story on the website. "I had been looking forward to it for a while, and it was great to just get out there and see a new place. I plan on getting up there a couple more times in the future."
The problem was, he never went to South Bend over the weekend.
BlueandGold.com confirmed Monday that the alleged visit never took place. It's unknown why Williams would fabricate such a story.
He's ranked by 247Sports.com as the No. 4 all-purpose back nationally in the Class of 2014 and a four-star recruit by Rivals. Williams has scholarship offers from Notre Dame, Auburn, Oregon, South Carolina, LSU, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Florida State, Clemson, Mississippi State and Tennessee.
Though Williams said he hasn't received a scholarship offer from Notre Dame, he remains interested in the Irish along with several other schools.
"A lot of schools are coming at me and that's given me a lot to think about," he said. "I want everyone to know that I'm open and interested. I'm just trying to find the right fit."
The story comes on the heels of the Manti Te'o hoax that has put an intense spotlight on Notre Dame football during the past week.