Although the transfer window is not closed yet, the pre-season is over, and it has left a bittersweet taste in the mouths of all madridistas. Real Madrid have won the UEFA Supercup and signed three great players, but others have left (Farewell, Fideo!) and we will not witness the first time a club wins six trophies in a single season, having lost the Spanish Supercup to Atlético de Madrid.
The league has already started and, after two consecutive unsuccessful seasons, it should be a fundamental goal for this team. Los Blancos make their debut in Santiago Bernabéu, against the recently promoted Córdoba CF, who are back in the First Division for the first time since 1972.
Coached by the former FC Barcelona fullback Albert Ferrer, the Andalusians will likely put up a great fight, as the newly promoted teams usually do. The Italian midfielder Fausto Rossi is, possibly, their most well-known player, but the young wingers Fidel and Fede Cartabia are, in my opinion, their most talented players, and they will, for sure, put our defenders in trouble at some point in the game.
As Ancelotti confirmed in his pre-match press conference, Cristiano Ronaldo is fully recovered and will be available for the match, and so will be Sami Khedira, who is, supposedly, going to remain in the team this season. On the other hand, Coentrao has not made it into the squad list due to a minor injury that will likely keep him out until October.
Less than 72 hours after the second clash against Atlético, it would be natural to expect some rotations. Arbeloa, Illarramendi and Isco are the main candidates to replace Carvajal, Alonso and Modric. Ramos, Bale and Benzema also played 180 minutes against Atlético, but their absence from the lineup is unlikely. Furthermore, the goalkeeper debate will probably be closed tomorrow as soon as we see Iker Casillas or Keylor Navas in front of the goal.
- Goalkeepers: Casillas, Keylor Navas and Pacheco.
- Defenders: Varane, Pepe, Ramos, Marcelo, Carvajal, Arbeloa and Nacho.
- Midfielders: Bale, Khedira, Kroos, James Rodríguez, Xabi Alonso, Modric, Isco and Illarramendi.
- Strikers: Cristiano Ronaldo and Benzema.
Projected lineup: Casillas; Arbeloa, Pepe, Ramos, Marcelo; Illarramendi, Kroos, Isco; Ronaldo, James, Benzema.
Time converter at worldtimebuddy.com
TV information: GolT & Canal Plus Liga (Spain), Sky Sports 5 (UK), beIN Sports (USA), Others.
More from sbnation.com:
- Ángel Di María doesn't show up in Real Madrid training ahead of United move
- Manchester United closing in on €70 million move for Di Maria
- Ancelotti: "Di María came to say good-bye, it's not official yet but soon will be"
- James Rodríguez excellent game against Atlético de Madrid
- Five Takeaways from Real Madrid's Supercopa Defeat
- Ancelotti: "Di María didn't play because I didn't need him"