Penn State coach Bill O'Brien said that he hopes the NCAA will modify its sanctions against the school stemming from the Jerry Sandusky child sex-abuse scandal.
Penn State was handed a four-year bowl ban and the loss of dozens of scholarships after former assistant coach Sandusky was found guilty of sexually abusing boys on and off the campus over several years.
"I believe this football program is being run the right way," O'Brien said on a conference call to reporters on Friday. "I believe that we have great kids here, that we work very diligently to sustain compliance, just like every program around the country. ... I think we're in compliance, and hopefully at some point in time, the NCAA ... hopefully, they look at that and they can meet us halfway."
The conference call was about the Nittany Lions' 2014 season opener in Ireland against Central Florida. O'Brien was responding to a question about the NCAA penalties that were levied against the school last year.
O'Brien also said that he met with Penn State's trustees last week to discuss the sanctions. It was reported that O'Brien presented a slideshow about proposing to ask the NCAA to modify the penalties.
Penn State athletic director Dave Joyner said no proposal is planned.
The school is ineligible for the postseason until 2016 and can field just 65 scholarship players through 2017.
"I go back to what I said from Day One," O'Brien said. "I understand why the sanctions are in place. It's about putting an end to child abuse. It's about the victims. I get that, I really do, and we're doing our part to help put an end to child abuse. At the same time, we want to do what's right for this program, and I think this program is heading in the right direction and behaving well."