Buzzing on Yahoo Sports:

PRESS BOX: Bucks make offer to Ellis, Allmendinger may get more NASCAR starts

The SportsXchange

NBA

The Milwaukee Bucks made a three-year, $36 million contract offer to guard Monta Ellis but no agreement has been reached, according to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.

Ellis, the team's leading scorer with 19.2 points per game during the regular season, holds a player option on his current six-year deal and would become a free agent if he chooses to opt out before June 20. He would need to opt-in if he accepts the extension offer.

Ellis, 27, would earn $11 million next season and an additional $11.8 million for 2014-15 and $13 million for the final year, according to the paper.

If the eight-year veteran rejects the offer, he will become a free agent on July 1. Yahoo! Sports recently reported that Ellis plans to opt out of his current deal and may be interested in the Sacramento Kings. Ellis played with Golden State from 2005 until being traded to the Bucks in March 2012.

---Several NBA teams are reportedly interested if the Orlando Magic trade the No. 2 overall pick in this year's draft, according to the Orlando Sentinel, which cited an unnamed source.

However, this year's draft does not have any superstars, so it may be difficult to make a deal. Kansas guard Ben McLemore, Georgetown swingman Otto Porter and Indiana guard Victor Oladipo are considered most likely to be taken second overall in this month's draft.

The Cleveland Cavaliers have the top choice. Kentucky center Noel Nerlens is projected to go No. 1, but he is recovering from knee surgery.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL

Eddie Vanderdoes, a highly-touted defensive tackle recruit, is citing extenuating family health circumstances as part of the reason he wants to get out of his commitment to Notre Dame and attend UCLA instead, according to CBS Sports.

Vanderdoes originally committed to UCLA in February and enrolled in classes there, before changing his mind and deciding to go to Notre Dame. Earlier this week, Notre Dame refused to let Vanderdoes out of his signed letter of intent after he expressed a desire to go back to UCLA.

A source told CBS Sports that a close relative of Vanderdoes was diagnosed with a severe illness during the winter. Vanderdoes, who is from Auburn, Calif., said he wants to be closer to his family.

Vanderdoes reportedly hopes that his family circumstances will allow him out of his letter of intent with the Fighting Irish. Otherwise, he will have to sit out the season and lose a year of eligibility.

AUTO RACING

AJ Allmendinger will take over as driver of the No. 47 Toyota in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series for up to five future races this season, replacing 2000 Sprint Cup champion Bobby Labonte.

The change will start next weekend at Michigan International Speedway and continue at Watkins Glen on Aug. 11. Three other races may also be included.

The team wants to expand to two cars at some point to include both drivers, team co-owner Brad Daugherty told ESPN on Saturday.

Labonte is in his third season with JTG/Daugherty Racing. He is 23rd in the Sprint Cup standings, but has not had a top 10 finish. Allmendinger has been in four races this season while driving the No. 51 for Phoenix Racing. He also has not finished a race in the top 10 but has placed 16th or better all four times.

NHL

Los Angeles Kings center Mike Richards, who is recovering from a concussion, participated in Saturday morning's practice and might play later against the Chicago Blackhawks in Game 5 of the Western Conference finals.

Richards sustained the concussion during Game 1 of the best-of-seven series.

"It's 50-50," Kings coach Darryl Sutter of Richards' chances of playing, according to ESPN.

Richards still has to be cleared by doctors as part of the league's concussion protocol before he can suit up.

Chicago leads the series 3-1.
View Comments (0)