Italy boss Cesare Prandelli has revealed that he would consider taking Francesco Totti to next summer's World Cup.
The 37-year-old retired from international football after the Azzurri's triumph in Germany in 2006, but his sensational performances for Roma so far this season has sparked calls for a recall. Prandelli has now admitted that he would be willing to call upon Totti should he maintain his form and fitness.
"If we were nearing the World Cup, I'd call on Totti, without a doubt," Prandelli told reporters on Monday. "I hope that he can maintain his condition, as the priorities for the World Cup are related to athletics. I want players who are strong, as physical condition will be decisive.
"I have to consider many things but, at the moment, Totti is in great shape. I will assess some players, such as [Antonio] Cassano as well, a month before the World Cup."
The Azzurri have already qualified for the World Cup next year, but Prandelli insists that he is still taking his side's final two qualifying games, against Denmark and Armenia, very seriously.
"I think the three points on Friday [in Copenhagen] are for the world ranking," Prandelli said. "And we would then like to finish unbeaten."
- Sports & Recreation