San Lorenzo won Copa Libertadores for the first time in their history last week, and on Wednesday they decided to give their most famous and holiest fan a chance to hold the trophy.
Of course San Lorenzo won Copa Libertadores. They had god on their side.
Pope Francis didn't even bother hiding his handiwork, ensuring that his club would win the South American crown in his first year at the Vatican. Now Real Madrid should be scared, because they have to face San Lorenzo and the Pope in the Club World Cup.
Congratulations, San Lorenzo, and your helpful angels.
More from sbnation.com:
- Our beautiful, comprehensive Premier League preview
- Scores and highlights from Week 1 of the Premier League
- DeAndre Yedlin ushering in the homegrown era of American soccer
- Landon Donovan is a good sport about losing his USMNT spot
- For Everton and Tottenham, the pressure's off this year
- The European soccer transfer market, explained