It's not a shock, but it sets the stage for the goalie to potentially leave the team next summer.
In unsurprising news, the Pittsburgh Penguins made it official. They won't be signing Marc-Andre Fleury to a contract before the season starts. They could have signed him as early as July 1st, and it's almost September, so it's not exactly shocking that this is the case, but here we are. From Josh Yohe at the Trib:
Rutherford on Monday told the Tribune-Review that signing Fleury, who could become an unrestricted free agent July 1, 2015, isn't on his immediate agenda.
"I'm not in a hurry to do a contract with him," Rutherford said.
Walsh isn't offended by Rutherford's decision.
"We're actually on the same page," Walsh said. "It's of no consequence at all."
More from sbnation.com:
- Aleksey Morozov retires
- Brandon Sutter And His Linemates, Part 356
- Pittsburgh Penguins jersey rumors: Real gold coming back next year?
- Unconventional Wisdom - Career HART
- Building the Pittsburgh Penguins Roster
- An In-Depth Look at Team Depth
- Sports & Recreation
- Ice Hockey
- the Penguins