Who's gonna get the axe?
The Philadelphia Eagles are expected to announce some cuts today, Saturday, August 23rd. The Eagles have until Tuesday, August 26th at 4 PM EST to trim their roster down to 75. The Eagles' roster is currently full at 90 so that means 15 players will be released.
Here are our predictions.
1) K Carey Spear
BLG: RIP Murderleg.
2) OT Michael Bamiro
BLG: Too much of a project.
3) OG Donald Hawkins
BLG: Reserve OL.
4) TE Blake Annen
BLG: Annen has intriguing size/speed but struggled with drops in training camp.
5) DB Davon Morgan
BLG: Morgan earned an offseason roster spot after impressing in a tryout earlier this offseason. Read his story.
6) DE Frank Mays
BLG: Mays has great size (6-9, 291) but he still have a lot of developing to do. Read my profile on him.
7) S Daytawion Lowe
BLG: One of the hardest names to spell on the roster.
8) NT Wade Keliikipi
BLG: Oregon bias!
9) WR B.J. Cunningham
BLG: I've always liked BJC. Maybe he'll stick around on the practice squad.
10) OLB Josh Kaddu
BLG: More Oregon bias!
11) OG Karim Barton
BLG: Practice squad potential.
12) CB Roc Carmichael
BLG: See ya, Roc.
13) WR Kadron Boone
BLG: Cool name and intriguing player.
14) C Julian Vandervelde (Injury settlement)
BLG: He's hurt and David Molk has been playing well.
15) DE Alejandro Villanueva
BLG: Great story and could end up on the practice squad.
Mike Kaye's Cuts
1) Carey Spear, K, Rookie
MK: Duh. The only think Murderleg showed off in the off-season was his inaccuracy.
2) Will Murphy, WR, 2nd Year
MK: He's the coach's pet, but there are actual competitions going on.
3) Blake Annen, TE, Rookie
MK: He is a nice prospect but showed very little in the preseason and in training camp.
4) Julian Vandervelde, C, 4th Year (Injured Reserve)
MK: Back surgery likely sealed Vandervelde's fate.
5) Karim Barton, OG, Rookie
MK: I like the idea of Karim Barton, but I am not sure he is ready to contribute to a roster at this point.
6) Donald Hawkins, G, Rookie
MK: He's not getting a ton of time as a backup fighting for a job. He may have a shot elsewhere based on his college performance.
7) Michael Bamiro, OT, 2nd Year
MK: This project just has not worked. By most accounts, he's looked terrible this off-season.
8) Josh Andrews, G/C, Rookie
MK: Molk has the backup center spot all-but locked up.
9) Wade Keliikipi, DT, Rookie
MK: It didn't seem like Keliikipi even had a shot at being the defensive line conversation.
10) Frank Mays, DE, Rookie
MK: Same as Keliikipi...
11) Alejandro Villanueva, DE, Rookie
MK: Great story, but not all that ready to contribute.
12) Josh Kaddu, LB, 3rd Year
MK: Where was he all this off-season? Prime example of a borderline talent.
13) Daytawion Lowe, S, Rookie
MK: I had high hopes from his college days, but he hasn't shown enough to be kept.
14) Roc Carmichael, CB, 3rd Year
MK: It wouldn't shock me if both Carmichael or Curtis Marsh were cut, but I go with Carmichael because Marsh at least showed well in practice. Carmichael will probably find work elsewhere with how bad the position is around the league.
15) B.J. Cunningham
MK: As reported by Geoff Mosher.
What are your guesses?
More from sbnation.com:
- Eagles-Steelers Final Score: Philadelphia sharp in win over Pittsburgh, 31-21
- Chip Kelly's face after Henery's missed field goal
- How many running backs will Philadelphia keep?
- Alex Henery's struggles continue; Eagles 2014 kicker might not be on the roster yet
- Latest Eagles 53-man roster prediction
- Eagles-Steelers Review: WINNING! Defense and offense show up
- Chip Rules Everything Around Me
- Buy the Eagles Almanac 2014!