Mankins was the Patriots first round pick in 2005 and has been the mainstay of the offensive line. He captures the second most cap space on the roster and will free up plenty of space for subsequent moves (Darrelle Revis extension?). While he hasn't lived up to his reputation over the past few seasons, there was reason to believe he would rebound this upcoming year.
The Buccaneers needed an offensive lineman and general manager Jason Licht is a former Patriot staffer. In exchange for the All Pro interior lineman, the Bucs will be sending the Patriots sophomore tight end, and Rutgers alum, Tim Wright and an unspecified draft pick. The pick will likely be conditional, but Wright looks to step on the field as an immediate receiving threat.
Mankins was held out of practice this morning.
More details to come once available.
More from sbnation.com:
- NFL Roster Cuts 2014: Who Are the Patriots' Locks?
- Patriots Roster Cuts: Could Stevan Ridley be Released?
- Patriots Roster Cuts 2014: Tracker
- Ryan Mallett Back on the Trading Block
- New England Patriots Links 8/26/14 - Wilfork Feeling Stronger Than Ever
- NFL Roster Cuts: A look at the Patriots Defensive Line