The Patriots continued making cuts Monday afternoon, announcing the release of rookie tight end Justin Jones.
The New England Patriots announced a flurry of roster moves Monday afternoon, releasing four player. Three of those cuts were already reported - Tommy Kelly, Will Smith and James Anderson. However, the team did announce one new name to its cuts - rookie free agent tight end Justin Jones.
The East Carolina product was seen as a project to begin with (albeit one with potential considering his pro day numbers and size), and was initially releasd on August 10th following an underwhelming preseason performance against the Redskins.
With the Patriots lacking bodies at the tight end position, they brought him back on August 10th.
And now with Michael Hoomanawanui inching closer to a full return, they've released him again. Considering the Patriots didn't wait for the 53 man cutdown to let him go, this will probably end his tenure with the team. But who knows, perhaps they bring him back on the practice squad some time down the line.
More from sbnation.com:
- New England Patriots Links 8/23/14 - Recapping Patriots' 30-7 Win over Panthers
- Patriots vs. Panthers: Fan Notes from the Preseason
- Patriots vs. Panthers Final Score: Pats Dominant Dress Rehearsal, Win 30-7
- New England Patriots Links 8/22/14 - Preseason Week 3: Patriots vs. Panthers
- Preseason Week 3 Patriots vs Panthers: What to Watch For
- Sports & Recreation