Papelbon: 'I didn't come here for this'

The Sports Xchange
The SportsXchange


Philadelphia Phillies closer Jonathan Papelbon caused quite a stir before Sunday's 12-4 loss to the Detroit Tigers with some pretty candid comments.
"I definitely didn't come here for this," Papelbon told MLB.com after the team fell to 49-56, including going 1-8 on its current road trip.
In the interview with Todd Zolecki, the Phillies beat writer for MLB.com, Papelbon said that the organization could be in need of a cleaning.
"It's going to take, in my opinion, a lot," he said. "And in my opinion, I think it's going to have to be something very similar to what the Red Sox went through a couple years ago. From top to bottom."
When asked if he wanted to be a part of the changes in Philadelphia, Papelbon, who has blown five of his last 12 save opportunities, didn't hold back.
"No, I would like to stay here," he said. "But if I'm going to have to put up with this year after year, then no, I don't want to be here. Why would you? Why would anybody?"
This isn't the first time that Papelbon, who signed a four-year, $50 million contract prior to the 2012 season, has questioned the direction and leadership of the club. In spring training, he made a big deal about what he saw as a lack of leadership among the club during its 2012 season that ended 81-81. Earlier this season, he talked about poor fundamentals by his infielders after blowing his first save of the season.