The Panthers needed to trim four more active roster spots to hit the 75 player mark in the first round of cuts. Here are the remaining moves.
Per Panthers.com, the final four roster spot moves needed to hit the 75 active players mark are in, and they all appear to be injury moves.
Matt Blanchard, tight end D.C. Jeffersonand offensive lineman Kevin Matthewswere placed on IR. Wide receiver De'Andre Presleywas placed on reserve/PUP, meaning he can't play for the first six weeks of the regular season.
Quarterback Matt Blanchard started off the preseason as the third string quarterback, coming in to relieve Derek Anderson with the second string offense in week one. Blanchard didn't play well in any of the three games before suffering a concussion against the Patriots. D.C. Jefferson had a pretty good camp and caught a touchdown against New England, but even without an injury Jefferson's chances of making the roster were pretty slim with the currently crowded tight end group. Brandon Williams appears to have played his way into a spot on the final 53.
De'Andre Presley had a good camp as well, and it's good for him to receive PUP designation rather than the IR designation his fellow teammates received. What do you think of the cuts? Any surprises? Share with us in the comments!
More from sbnation.com:
- Preseason Game 3: Bubble Watch
- Panthers Preseason Game 3: Key Matchups
- Panthers vs. Patriots preseason 2014: Game time, TV schedule, online streaming and more
- Byron Bell has it all wrong, fans don't hate him
- 2014 Preseason Game 3: Panthers at Patriots Defensive Preview
- Preseason 2014 Game 3- Panthers @ Patriots: Offensive Preview