LIVE CHAT:

Padres re-sign Marquis

The SportsXchange

Right-hander Jason Marquis' resume includes seven teams in the past seven seasons, but he's staying put this winter.

The free agent starting pitcher agreed to a one-year, $3 million deal that will keep him with the San Diego Padres.

"The team showed a lot of improvement over the second half of last season," Marquis said, according to the UT San Diego newspaper. "We started playing good baseball and kept it up for three months at the end of last season. Can we do it for six months? The majority of pieces are in place. A lot of young players are gaining in experience. Let's see what we can do. I'd like to think I'll be a positive influence."

Marquis, 34, is coming off a rough season that ended Aug. 21 when his left hand was broken by a line drive.

He pitched well by winning five of eight starts for the Padres after the All-Star break before the injury. Marquis was released by the Minnesota Twins earlier in the season.

He went 8-11 with a 5.22 ERA and 1.47 WHIP in 22 starts overall this year.

"We like keeping Jason for a number of reasons," Padres general manager Josh Byrnes said, according to UT San Diego. "In addition to being a solid pitcher, we like how he fits in. There's a toughness to Jason. He wants to win. Players respect him."

Byrnes added that the Padres might still add another starting pitcher. San Diego's rotation currently includes Clayton Richard, Edinson Volquez, Marquis and Anthony Bass. Candidates for the fifth slot include Tyson Ross, Eric Stults, Andrew Cashner, Robbie Erlin and Casey Kelly.
View Comments (2)